PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
against my better judgement i switched to synthetic

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2013, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default against my better judgement i switched to synthetic

And as sure as a bear poops in the woods, I've got a leak.
Car is an '06 n/a with 65k miles that's seen nothing but Dino oil from day one. On last oil change I switched to Pennzoil platinum and 2000 miles in I've got a leak.

I quickly had a look this morning and the oil is gathering at the oil filter area but its not coming from filter gasket from what I can tell. I'll have to get under this weekend to get a better look.

Needless to say, I am now a true believer of not switching to synthetic if you've been running conventional oil from the beginning. I do all my oil changes, tune ups and ive never seen any Indication of a leak anywhere!

I've been a guest on this forum for a long time and I love my pt cruiser but it makes me sad to think how much money I've spent on repairs in the last year

When I get under it I'll post and let you know what I find.

I plan on dumping the oil this weekend and going back to conventional. Anyone think it may help? Suggestions? Can't afford another costly repair at the moment.

Last edited by KawasakiGuy; 24 Jan 2013 at 04:43 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 24 Jan 2013, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: against my better judgement i switched to synthetic

Exact same situation here...actually just posted a thread myself right below yours. Mine is leaking from the same area and I run synthetic also, but have been for roughly 100k miles. Best of luck with the leak, hopefully its something minor.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 04:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawasakiGuy View Post
And as sure as a bear poops in the woods, I've got a leak.
Car is an '06 n/a with 65k miles that's seen nothing but Dino oil from day one. On last oil change I switched to Pennzoil platinum and 2000 miles in I've got a leak.

I quickly had a look this morning and the oil is gathering at the oil filter area but its not coming from filter gasket from what I can tell. I'll have to get under this weekend to get a better look.

Needless to say, I am now a true believer of not switching to synthetic if you've been running conventional oil from the beginning. I do all my oil changes, tune ups and ive never seen any Indication of a leak anywhere!

I've been a guest on this forum for a long time and I love my pt cruiser but it makes me sad to think how much money I've spent on repairs in the last year

When I get under it I'll post and let you know what I find.

I plan on dumping the oil this weekend and going back to conventional. Anyone think it may help? Suggestions? Can't afford another costly repair at the moment.
I changed to synthetic when I had only 500 miles on my PT. What a mistake! The leaks started up right away, in a NEW engine! The worst ones were form the valve cover and the cam sensor. And the bad news, those leaks didn't stop either, even when I changed back to regular oil. They kept right on leaking!

After putting up with the leaks for a while, I finally broke down and replaced the valve cover gaskets. The cam sensor was a different story. I was never able to stop it from leaking with just a new gasket alone. I finally had to resort to silicone sealant AND a new gasket, used very sparingly so as to not get into the cam area, and I've finally gotten all my leaks stopped.
mnahmnah likes this.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 24 Jan 2013, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
I changed to synthetic when I had only 500 miles on my PT. What a mistake! The leaks started up right away, in a NEW engine! The worst ones were form the valve cover and the cam sensor. And the bad news, those leaks didn't stop either, even when I changed back to regular oil. They kept right on leaking!

After putting up with the leaks for a while, I finally broke down and replaced the valve cover gaskets. The cam sensor was a different story. I was never able to stop it from leaking with just a new gasket alone. I finally had to resort to silicone sealant AND a new gasket, used very sparingly so as to not get into the cam area, and I've finally gotten all my leaks stopped.
Why didn't you get it fixed at the dealer? You had a warranty.
mityqwik likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jan 2013, 05:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Pfffft! I did have the dealer replace the cam sensor and seal at the time, but it started oozing all over again after a few hundred miles. Fat lot of good that did! Figured it was my time to try for a better solution.

I'm the type of person who doesn't trust the stealership wrench monkeys very much. I like to do all my own work if possible, even if it's under warranty, unless it's a major and expensive job. That way, I know the work gets done the way I want it. I don't know how many times I've had some dealer wrench monkey royally screw up one of my vehicles. Professionals my rear end. But now it's a moot point. My PT is 10 years old and all repairs are on my dime, and my work ethic.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 24 Jan 2013, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD3 View Post
Exact same situation here...actually just posted a thread myself right below yours. Mine is leaking from the same area and I run synthetic also, but have been for roughly 100k miles. Best of luck with the leak, hopefully its something minor.
lol I just saw your post as well. Sorry to hear about your leak. Sounds like both our leaks are coming from the same area. I took a quick look when I got to work this morning and it seems to be pooling by the oil filter area but it was clearly coming from above. I'll have a better look the weekend. For now, I've got the trusty old card board under the car so I can see how much drops over night. Leaving work I didn't see any drops despite the drops I saw hanging from the oil pan in the morning when I parked it.

I'm not big on additives for me vehicles but I've read some good reviews on Lucas Oil Stop Leak. Anyone try it with success?
Old 24 Jan 2013, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Why is synthetic oils causing leaks? I thought synthetic was recommend to keep the turbos in good shape
Old 25 Jan 2013, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03turbo View Post
Why is synthetic oils causing leaks? I thought synthetic was recommend to keep the turbos in good shape
Technically speaking....it doesn't.
But the word of the day may be coincidence ?
And a better way to put the other comment might be that a Full Synthetic engine oil is the most recommended for turbo applicated engines?
Old 25 Jan 2013, 02:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I change to syth myself at 100k wich is pretty much when I got the car It's a turbo and I don't have any leaks.
mityqwik likes this.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 25 Jan 2013, 03:25 am
Senior Cruiser

My car has about 65000 miles and the manual says to use 5W30 which is full-synthetic. So I assume the previous owners did use 5W30
I 'm going for 5W40 next oil change, which is still full-synthetic. Got no leaks so far.
Installed Mopar sub !