Advertisements
Batteries and cables

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2013, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to jollyjeepers
Default Batteries and cables

I've been reading about batteries and references to a "big three" mod, which I have yet to find as it doesn't come up in the search.

I have a 2005 non-turbo. I've been waiting for a couple of years for the battery to fail and normally test it once a year. Batteries don't normally have a very long lifespan in my experience.

The other day it seemed just slightly slower to start. We are not having bitterly cold weather and yesterday it was in the single digits and did not start for the first time ever. No battery light has ever come on, but I think it's time.

I've read the instructions for how to get the battery out. I will probably purchase from AutoZone or Advance depending on price.

I would assume that the "big three" mod is relating to replacing battery cables. Can you provide me a link to a thread on this? Any other words of wisdom or advice? I generally like to do things proactively and replace anything while I'm in an area.

I have still be wanting to put a cold air intake on this car, but haven't decided which one to get so it has the stock intake on it presently.

Thanks!

Beth
Old 25 Jan 2013, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Batteries and cables

no I think the Big 3 is refering to steros and adding mosr power to drive them monster speakers and the power amps they run if you dont ahve a big battery and a high output altenator and some big wires you will get your lights flickering when the amps push the killer bass notes

changing the battery is simple the tie down the termainal and you are out
Old 25 Jan 2013, 06:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here you go. And it is about the cables.

big 3 upgrade
BIG 3 -
Old 25 Jan 2013, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's great. Thanks for the info. I have no high tech accessories, but I'm glad to know about it.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's a good possibility your cable ends were needing cleaned. Cold weather will find this fault as well as a weak battery. These need to be looked at at a regular intervals. Battery can get a charge if the ends are dirty.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jan 2013, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You are absolutely right. I will inspect when it warms up in a few days. I also have plenty of those little felt pads that my husband must have bought a case of that I can use when I reattach my battery or install a new one.

Thanks!

Beth
Roanoke, VA
2005 PT Cruiser "Peyton"
Base 5-Speed

Diamond Back White Walls
Single Bar Flipper Caps
Wheel well trim
Custom Paint accents

K & N Air Filters and synthetic oil always
Old 25 Jan 2013, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeepers View Post
You are absolutely right. I will inspect when it warms up in a few days. I also have plenty of those little felt pads that my husband must have bought a case of that I can use when I reattach my battery or install a new one.

Thanks!
Your welcom. I find if I rub a little ignition grease on the post after I clean them I don't need to worry with it for a year or so. I usually find I'm there for something else before I have a starting issue. So I just do it then.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Feb 2013, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, the end result was that my negative terminal was badly corroded, but my battery tested bad though it did have a full charge so the alternator was doing its job.

I like Autozone better than Advance so got them to price match the coupon that was listed elsewhere here.

I cleaned the terminal and added a coating to prevent corrosion and the little felt-like pads around the battery posts. I had these in stock so no out of pocket expense. I'll check the terminals when I clean my K & N filter for regular maintenance in the future.

I'm impressed that the factory battery lasted for almost 8 years.

Beth
Roanoke, VA
2005 PT Cruiser "Peyton"
Base 5-Speed

Diamond Back White Walls
Single Bar Flipper Caps
Wheel well trim
Custom Paint accents

K & N Air Filters and synthetic oil always
Old 06 Feb 2013, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjeepers View Post
I'm impressed that the factory battery lasted for almost 8 years.
You ought to be. Some fail after 3 years!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Feb 2013, 10:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You ought to be. Some fail after 3 years!
Like mine! Mine still tests good, but the cold cranking amps are low and it turns over pretty slow in the morning. I've got a couple more weeks left on my basic warranty, so I might see if I can squeeze in a new one. It tests good, though, so I'm not sure if I can get away with it!