Advertisements
ASD or SKIM Startup issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fuzzyweis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2013, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ASD or SKIM Startup issue

So, I've got most the gremlins out of my 2008 pre-owned Cruiser, camshaft position sensor replaced, ignition switch replaced. But there's still one niggling little issue left.

Occasionally, it will start, rev up to idle, and then shut down, does this 3 times, then doesn't even turn over. I pop the ASD fuse cartridge on the fuse box, wait a few seconds, pop it back in, car starts right up.

So obviously, the ASD circuit is being tripped, but can that be caused by a faulty SKIM? I'm not sure as I think I wouldn't be able to reset it.

And if it's the SKIM, could it just be my key? The wife hasn't had it happen with her key, but she only drives the car 1/5th what I do, so could just be luck of the draw.

If it's not the SKIM, am I probably looking at the whole computer? Cause I can live with just resetting the fuse on occasion, maybe even wire in a reset button to the dash to make it easier.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ASD or SKIM Startup issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyweis View Post
So, I've got most the gremlins out of my 2008 pre-owned Cruiser, camshaft position sensor replaced, ignition switch replaced. But there's still one niggling little issue left.

Occasionally, it will start, rev up to idle, and then shut down, does this 3 times, then doesn't even turn over. I pop the ASD fuse cartridge on the fuse box, wait a few seconds, pop it back in, car starts right up.

So obviously, the ASD circuit is being tripped, but can that be caused by a faulty SKIM? I'm not sure as I think I wouldn't be able to reset it.

And if it's the SKIM, could it just be my key? The wife hasn't had it happen with her key, but she only drives the car 1/5th what I do, so could just be luck of the draw.

If it's not the SKIM, am I probably looking at the whole computer? Cause I can live with just resetting the fuse on occasion, maybe even wire in a reset button to the dash to make it easier.
Thanks in advance.
I would use the one key only and see if that one ever dose it. I didn't say trade the wife keys because she would be mad if it dose it to her with your key.
If it reaccours then I would suspect the ingnition switch area were it detects the key.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jan 2013, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: ASD or SKIM Startup issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I would use the one key only and see if that one ever dose it. I didn't say trade the wife keys because she would be mad if it dose it to her with your key.
If it reaccours then I would suspect the ingnition switch area were it detects the key.
Yeah, forgot to mention I wasn't planning to swap keys with the wife, I would not enjoy getting that phone call

If it doesn't happen with her key then I guess it's mine, which sadly cost almost as much as a SKIM module.
Busted_PT likes this.