PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft position sensor

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2013, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Camshaft position sensor

Does anyone know of a place to purchase a camshaft position sensor besides a dealer? My CEL was coming on periodically and threw the P0340 code, but only limped on me once for about 5 seconds, and I drove about 2000 miles after the first time it came on. I replaced it with a new one from Rock Auto, but alas after replacing it, it instantly threw the P0344 code. Again no limping, but the CEL is on and the P0344 is there. So I guess I am going to buy a mopar part, but I dont want the dealer to rape me if I can help it.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 11:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft position sensor

Mopar Parts | Order OEM Mopar Parts for All Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep Cars or Trucks

Didnt mention what year yours is, but the 2004 L4 motor camshaft sensor is only like $44 :-)

There ya go :-D
Old 08 Oct 2016, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Camshaft position sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strilla View Post
Does anyone know of a place to purchase a camshaft position sensor besides a dealer? My CEL was coming on periodically and threw the P0340 code, but only limped on me once for about 5 seconds, and I drove about 2000 miles after the first time it came on. I replaced it with a new one from Rock Auto, but alas after replacing it, it instantly threw the P0344 code. Again no limping, but the CEL is on and the P0344 is there. So I guess I am going to buy a mopar part, but I dont want the dealer to rape me if I can help it.
With all do respect to the guys that say aftermarket products don't work or not as good as MOPAR parts, I don't agree. I am willing to bet that at least one brand is the same part made by the same people that make the MOPAR brand. After all, how many companies make this sensor to begin with, 2-3-4 maybe? Anyway, I did by an aftermarket sensor for $12.60 delivered. Well it is doing the same thing the original one did. So that makes me think it might not be the sensor at all. One thing I noticed is my cruise control is not working too. Wondering IF there could be any relationship and a clue...Such as a bad vacuum line.
What mine is doing is intermittent. It started while I was driving after about 12 miles. It spit, sputtered and acted like it was gonna stall until I let up on the gas and found if I press the pedal slowly, I could gain speed slowly. It got me home. The next day, the idiot light went out and it ran great for about 8 miles and started acting up again. One day I drove about 15 miles with it bucking again. But before I got to my destination, it started running great all the way to my destination. But when I left there to go home, it was bucking again all the way home. One day, I got in it, started it up and the check engine light was OFF for the first time since this problem started. But 8 or so miles later, it was back on and bucking again. Being on a tight budget, I can't afford just adding other sensors or keep replacing the same one, like this darn cam position sensor. But I am tempted to go to Auto Zone and by their Duralast sensor and try that. I wonder if they would take it back if it's a no go?
Old 08 Oct 2016, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCRUISER View Post
With all do respect to the guys that say aftermarket products don't work or not as good as MOPAR parts, I don't agree. I am willing to bet that at least one brand is the same part made by the same people that make the MOPAR brand. After all, how many companies make this sensor to begin with, 2-3-4 maybe? Anyway, I did by an aftermarket sensor for $12.60 delivered. Well it is doing the same thing the original one did. So that makes me think it might not be the sensor at all. One thing I noticed is my cruise control is not working too. Wondering IF there could be any relationship and a clue...Such as a bad vacuum line.
What mine is doing is intermittent. It started while I was driving after about 12 miles. It spit, sputtered and acted like it was gonna stall until I let up on the gas and found if I press the pedal slowly, I could gain speed slowly. It got me home. The next day, the idiot light went out and it ran great for about 8 miles and started acting up again. One day I drove about 15 miles with it bucking again. But before I got to my destination, it started running great all the way to my destination. But when I left there to go home, it was bucking again all the way home. One day, I got in it, started it up and the check engine light was OFF for the first time since this problem started. But 8 or so miles later, it was back on and bucking again. Being on a tight budget, I can't afford just adding other sensors or keep replacing the same one, like this darn cam position sensor. But I am tempted to go to Auto Zone and by their Duralast sensor and try that. I wonder if they would take it back if it's a no go?
I would suggest checking the wiring and contacts going to the camshaft sensor. Post what codes you are getting.
Old 08 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No I haven't checked the wires or connector beyond a quick look. Since the problem is intermittent, and of course I unplugged and replugged the connector in, I'd think if it was dirty or carboned connector leads, it would have cleared up with handling them.

But I will look again. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08 Oct 2016, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:13 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2016, 01:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
No I haven't checked the wires or connector beyond a quick look. Since the problem is intermittent, and of course I unplugged and replugged the connector in, I'd think if it was dirty or carboned connector leads, it would have cleared up with handling them.

Not going into the OEM vs Aftermarket parts bit.

But ... you could easily be a "victim" of the old "Well that part is new ... so it can't be that thing!"

So I'm gonna go with "ptcruisersteve" and just add some specifics. If you don't have one ... get a "DVOM" and a Chilton and or Haynes Manual. And use it to check the specs "OHMS" and "Voltage" where applicable on the various sensors.

Get a vacume gauge and check vacume at idle "details are in the Haynes" manual for that. And rent a Fuel Pressure gauge from an "Auto Parts" store and check your fuel pressure at idle.

And in as much as "Coil Pack" issues seem to be cropping up a lot lately if not here then on the Tahoe Yukon forum (and we have eight over there) I'd check for spark from each cylinder!

A tip .. I checked mine (coil output) old school with a rubber handled screwdriver while wearing a rubber glove. I'd read something somewhere about putting your other arm/hand in your pocket or behind your back???

Screw that I have a glove on ... so I had my wife crank the car over as I used the screwdriver to check for spark while I "Rested My free Arm on the fender!!!"

Yess, indeed I had spark ... came right up the arm I had resting on the fender!! That was an eyeing moment so yeah ... don't do that.
Old 08 Oct 2016, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. What codes have you gotten so far with this issue?
Old 08 Oct 2016, 03:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

But I am tempted to go to Auto Zone and by their Duralast sensor and try that. I wonder if they would take it back if it's a no go?

Back years ago when I worked for them, any electrical part that had been installed was non-returnable. You can take it back and ask for another one, but a refund won't happen unless there is a manager who understands the situation. I knew after working there a while that it's a crap shoot on the aftermarket stuff they sell. Some of it's defective right out of the box, some isn't. Doesn't matter if it's GP Sorensen or Wells. Rate of return was about the same on them. If you get one from them and it doesn't run right, take it back and ask for another one. I was PSM for them as well as Assistant Manager and usually gave people 3 returns before a refund would be issued. And that was just to loyal customers that knew what they were doing.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.