PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Explain the 01's PCV hose to me...please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2013, 03:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Explain the 01's PCV hose to me...please.

My 01 NA has two hoses coming from the valve cover. The one on the front right is the PCV and seems to have the valve that screws into the cover.

There is one on the back side with no such valve that connects straight to the flexible intake tube. What's up with that one? Why no check valve or anything? It's oily in there. It gets my throttle body oily and screws up my idle. It also makes a puff of smoke come from my exhaust at start up under certain condition. Me no likey. I've read where that's "common" on the 01's.

Can I plug it and the intake tube? Is there a better "fix"? Is that tube there on subsequent models?

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.

Last edited by JenneK; 27 Jan 2013 at 03:45 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Explain the 01's PCV hose to me...please.

I'm not sure why the second tube/vacuum line that's connected to the flexible intake is oily? Mine is dry as a bone. Not a drop of oil inside the line or at either end. I'm not sure of it's purpose except it might be taking some of the gases/fumes from under the valve cover and it's being sucked into the intake where it's burned. Maybe something to do with the emissions.

If yours is oily and making your throttle body oily, you have something wrong. Have you changed your PCV valve lately?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't find where I already gave a technical response pertaining to PCV system. maybe CREWZIN can find it?

In short, No you can not plug the valve side of the PCV system or air filter hose because of crankcase pressure. Yes you can bypass the complete system running without a PCV valve. but this must be done correctly and it will not meet emission regulations. If oil is on present in either hoses but seen mostly on the air filter side you it is a sign of engine wear either rings or valve guides.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Jan 2013, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneK View Post
My 01 NA has two hoses coming from the valve cover. The one on the front right is the PCV and seems to have the valve that screws into the cover.

There is one on the back side with no such valve that connects straight to the flexible intake tube. What's up with that one? Why no check valve or anything? It's oily in there. It gets my throttle body oily and screws up my idle. It also makes a puff of smoke come from my exhaust at start up under certain condition. Me no likey. I've read where that's "common" on the 01's.

Can I plug it and the intake tube? Is there a better "fix"? Is that tube there on subsequent models?
Somewhere on here they speak of a catch can mod that caught the oil. Hose runs into it and out to the intake hose or air box.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jan 2013, 08:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Theres really only 3 ways for oil to get into the upper manifold.

1 through the air cleaner, up into the throttle body *a dirty throttle body can spit oil into the upper intake easily*

2. The PVC valve being stuck in the open position *remove it and shake it, if you cant hear the bearing bounce around, its time to replace*

And through the lower intake *sometimes the seals around this have oil, but if theres a LOT of oil near these seals, you have bigger issues*

I would start by removing the upper manifold, and looking inside with a flashlight

There is a TON of air being moved through this so any oil residue inside should leave a visible grease mark either from the throttle body, from the other end of the PVC hose or from the lower manifold upwards. Take a look inside and see what you can see, if that doesnt pan out, check your PVC valve, check the throttle body and check around the lower seals on the upper manifold :-D should get a pretty good idea of whats going on :-)

My guess is its the PVC if that is clogged the motor will blow oil out of the weakest point in the motor so, a $6 part may fix this :-D

Last edited by pluminator; 27 Jan 2013 at 08:54 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 02:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's an interval for replacing PCV-
I worry that spring corrodes or valve accumulates sediment- making calibration off-

in short, replace PCV!!!!!

Valvecovers separate (as best they can) liquid from crankcase air thru labyrinths under an aluminum plate (on PT). Labyrinths have needed to be resealed (early 2.2).

Valve cover MAY be improved for a better labyrinth. PT did have a valve cover change early on.
Why?
Cosmetics?
Added boss?
Labyrinth improvement?

I don't know

Most liquid that PCV passes is water, a separator will collect lots of it.

Oil in intake isn't unusual in an old/high mileage vehicle, or even newer ones- If ring seal is lacking in one spot, you'll get blow-by.
It doesn't look good, but doesn't hurt anything.

in short here, don't try to fix what isn't broken!!!

You can see spectacular blow-by when dudes put on the nifty turbo kit an a Neon (or any) engine and don't add enough fuel- engine cracks piston and adds pressure beyond PCV design
Old 02 Feb 2013, 12:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses.

As usual I went off all half cocked. My brain just wasn't working... The PCV was in need of a cleaning...or at least that's what fixed the issue. Here I was ready to rework the entire emission system just to fix a simple issue.

Thanks for pointing me on the straight path.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 02 Feb 2013, 11:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Here's a cut-away drawing that shows how a PCV valve works. (Notice the size of the "arrows" and the flow direction)

Different driving styles cause more or less crankcase vapors to escape through the second hose to the intake pipe/air box.

Last edited by 2step; 02 Feb 2013 at 11:18 am.
Old 02 Feb 2013, 01:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Where do these arrows come from, and do they hurt my engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneK View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

As usual I went off all half cocked. My brain just wasn't working... The PCV was in need of a cleaning...or at least that's what fixed the issue. Here I was ready to rework the entire emission system just to fix a simple issue.
been done before