Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Pad Differences???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2013, 01:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake Pad Differences???

Is there any real performance, durability or longevity issues with Ceramic vs Semi-Metallic? Keep in mind you are talking to an Old School V8 Guy that misses Asbestos Brake Pads.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 04:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Pad Differences???

Old school...go semi-metallic...you won't like the ceramic.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 04:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Here is some reading:

ceramic vs. semi-metallic brake pads
What front brake pads are people using?
Old 02 Feb 2013, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I never go cheap on brakes or tires - those are not things to go cheap on...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2013, 09:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I wasn't happy with a set of Wagner Thermo quiet semi metallic. Whenever it was raining heavily braking was dicey. I had to return them for a set of semi-metalic brakes and rotors from Brakeperformance.com. I found them on this forum unused and now I can stop all the time.

I once put a set of ceramics on my RX-330 and I had no stopping power. I went back to semi-metalic.

IMO stick with semi-metalic.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 02 Feb 2013 at 09:59 am.
Old 02 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is not about going cheap or the the type pads used, but rather what your driving environment is. It is very much the same as carefully choosing the tires you will be using. There is NO perfect brake pad and each type has specific operating advantages and disadvantages. If it were so easy there would not be over 200 choices in pads and shoes available on the market for PT Cruiser!!!

Even in old school 30+ years ago there were more options then most thought available so you needed to do your homework for the best option of brake pad/shoe material for what use your vehicle was.

I have 2 current BBK on the market and offer a choice of pads for different customer needs. When I built AC Cobra kits It was always a time consuming consultation with the customers to discus brake system and pad material options.

You can not compare brake material performance recommendation from others unless you have the exact vehicle duplicated in running gear, suspension, the same level of driving experience and environment. This would be unsafe for both you and the other sharing the road around you.