Advertisements
A New Zealander with a PT 2002 limited

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2013, 03:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A New Zealander with a PT 2002 limited

Ok guys dont get me wrong here but American cars arent the top of my list for reliable motoring. BUT I do own a PT which I like the shape of and it ticks the boxes for what I want in a wagon.

The 2.0 litre engine is something that should be dropped into a long drop toilet ..but I happen to have one in the vehicle and have to live with it. At the moment she is humping between 2nd and 3rd under load in the auto transmission ..to which by all accounts will be a soleniod if I go by other threads ... correct?

Now heres my question what outlet for parts in your grand old U S of A is the best to buy from. Over here they want an arm an both legs for parts and I dont want to pay 300-400% markup when I can buy direct from the states.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A New Zealander with a PT 2002 limited

The parts may be cheaper here but what about shipping to New Zealand?

A lot of us use a place called RockAuto Parts Catalog Not really sure if they ship worldwide or not but you can try.

Welcome to the forum.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 01 Feb 2013, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much it seems like they do post internationally. What I shall endeavour to do is buy a one lot package of the differing parts I need to hopefully make the postage cheaper.

Then when the parts arrive over here all the old elderly guys that I hang around with that fix and repair vintage and classic cars and bikes can have good frown at how this motor is placed and how little room there is to work on it.

But in the end when its fixed it can be parked up with my 2 classic 1949 BSA motorcycles to be used for driving or riding to work. My fellow prison officers all laughed at my purchase of the PT but understood why I bought it when they saw it as it had many aftermarket parts on it at it is now referred to as the Hobbit Hearse.

The other question I now have is that i have a faulty light switch so is it worth getting the light switch stalk with the full light set on or just get one minus the one that burns out and place a seperate switch on the console for those?

cheers Shane
Old 01 Feb 2013, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try the repair shown in the how to section in the tech and performance page.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Feb 2013, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You might also want to joint the Aussie PT Forum - it's free, also....
Forum Stats - The Australian PT Cruiser Community

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshistorical21 View Post
Ok guys dont get me wrong here but American cars arent the top of my list for reliable motoring. BUT I do own a PT which I like the shape of and it ticks the boxes for what I want in a wagon.

The 2.0 litre engine is something that should be dropped into a long drop toilet ..but I happen to have one in the vehicle and have to live with it. At the moment she is humping between 2nd and 3rd under load in the auto transmission ..to which by all accounts will be a soleniod if I go by other threads ... correct?

Now heres my question what outlet for parts in your grand old U S of A is the best to buy from. Over here they want an arm an both legs for parts and I dont want to pay 300-400% markup when I can buy direct from the states.
My '02 Limited has the 2.4L with a 5 speed manual. I buy from Rock Auto , Amazon, and Summit Racing. Is the 2.0 what the exported PT's have? Is yours right-hand drive? Good to hear from a Kiwi. Stay on and let us know what you're doing with your PT.
Old 06 Mar 2013, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cruiser now stalls in drive but reverse is fine .. took it up a steep hill and it started to buck and hop and die out but motor still was running not racing though managed to get it going again after checking oil and such .. engine light on limp mode engaged I suspect.

Sometimes it would run well as I am not a heavy footed driver but then I could leave it parked for 20 -30 mins after a drive come out and she would start to buck and hop again when load came on as I was driving off then she stalled and wouldnt engage drive without stalling.

Once I finally did manage to get her engaged and moving at normal road speeds I would be easing her along to get home about 15 km away she got there I parked her up. I went to move her 10 mins later and she stalled everytime I put her in drive yet in reverse she worked fine.

The car is parked up and I am not going to take it to a transmission place for them to pull it apart and say I need this and this and because its apart in pieces and will want my vehicle off thier premises asap they will want to order parts from a new zealand distributor ( not going to happen at the exhorbident prices they want ) ...

I know about the fault codes so here they are 0320 1684 1389 1391 the car has had a trans rebuild 2 years ago due to the rear seal. The vehicle is at 171000 km on the clock and has just had its waterpump done so that could explain a couple of codes. will the crank sensor fix that problem?

That sensor probably took a hit when trying to get the car engaged in gear at an intersection that it stopped at. Start restart place in drive jerk stall restart place in drive jerk stall restart place in drive jerk stall then engine light on.

If I was to replace parts in a foul swoop what should I buy new or what should i be checking?

cheers
Old 07 Mar 2013, 02:24 am
Senior Cruiser

The codes show problems with the cam sensor and/or the crank sensor and/or wiring. Because of the reverse/drive symptom, I would inspect the wiring harness and plug connections real closely.

Had koala burgers for supper. They tasted like chicken with a hint of eucalyptus.