PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT DIED WHILE DRIVING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2013, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My PT DIED WHILE DRIVING

Driving about 25 miles an hour and car died key turns but no crank

2001 limited at has 106k belt done about 10k ago. Lights work radio flashers windows dash light all power works. Just when you turn the key i get the chime but then nothing else. Lights dont dim no clicking. key just moves to start and thats all

Checked all fuses and relays changes ign switch componets and cranckshaft sensor andeven threw anew battery in for the hell of it.

Will crank if you cross the starter and timing belt is fine just wont start.

Ha too different people check with their diag tools and it wont communicate with the computer (PCM).

Is there a fuse before the computer (PCM) besides the ASD and is it possible to chk the computer before just buying one.

Thanks for the help
Old 02 Feb 2013, 07:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: My PT DIED WHILE DRIVING

for starters, as long as there's juice, do the key dance and see if any codes come up. there should be a sticky in the "how to" section for the key dance if you don't know how.
Old 02 Feb 2013, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no codes from the key and none from the scan tool
Old 02 Feb 2013, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The directions for the "key dance" to get the fault codes is in the Tech & Performance section as a separate sticky all by itself near the top of the section. I didn't add it to the "How To" list.

How to retrieve fault codes.

On to your problem:

You said: "Will crank if you cross the starter"

If you look at the schematic below, between the ignition switch and the starter motor you have the PCM and the Engine Starter Motor Relay. I'd start with the relay. It's in the PDC (Power Distribution Control) in the engine compartment along with 6 other relays. All of witch can be swapped around for testing. There's also a Fusible Link but I'm not sure where that's located.

Relay "B" is is for the starter.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Feb 2013 at 07:46 pm.
Old 02 Feb 2013, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would remove and clean every connection on the battery cables, from one end to the other.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Feb 2013, 08:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
There's also a Fusible Link but I'm not sure where that's located.
The fusible link runs between the starter motor and the alternator...it is a dark green wire on my PT...you should be able to see it looking down at the starter motor, it attaches to the same terminal as the red positive battery cable. It protects the alternator and the electrical system from each other. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the OP's problem...look like his PCM may not be communicating.
Old 04 Feb 2013, 03:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
The fusible link runs between the starter motor and the alternator...it is a dark green wire on my PT...you should be able to see it looking down at the starter motor, it attaches to the same terminal as the red positive battery cable. It protects the alternator and the electrical system from each other. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the OP's problem...look like his PCM may not be communicating.
I agree with this. While a bad starter relay could in fact cause the car not to crank without jumping the starter, it would not have killed the engine while driving.

It sounds like a PCM issue to me.
Old 04 Feb 2013, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can say this. Was driving a car that shut off this way and wouldn't crank. A small wire on the solenoid had come in two. Spliced the wire and and fired and ran perfect. So I can't say myself if something similar could do this on a pt. This was before PCMs.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Feb 2013, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I still wouldn't rule out ignition switch. They die more often than PCMs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Feb 2013, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

replaced the ign switch and actuator