Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rough running, backfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default rough running, backfire

started up this am and check engine light came on. drove a bit and had what i believe was exhaust backfire and real rough low speed performance. seemed to chug a bit when accelerating from a stop. checked the codes and got a p 0032 and p 0038 reading which seem to be something to do with the heater. anyone familiar with these readings and how on earth could the heater stuff cause the problem i'm having?. thanx for your input. my e mail is bsides45@yahoo.com
Old 03 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rough running, backfire

Is it possible that you misread the code? 0320 and 0380 as these affect timing and very well could cause the conditions you have. The other codes could be a plugged up converter.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually those two codes are for the O2 sensors. I found several references to those codes but no solutions. Hopefully somebody will chime in with more info.
Old 03 Feb 2013, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Is it possible that you misread the code? 0320 and 0380 as these affect timing and very well could cause the conditions you have. The other codes could be a plugged up converter.
rechecked the codes using the key system and it still comes up 0032 and oo38. is there another simple way to check this out?
Old 03 Feb 2013, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A code reader at the auto parts store. But if you read them again and they come up the same thing. Then that's probably what you have. A cat might be under warranty if the miles is not over the limit.idk

When was the last time you put plugs in?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Feb 2013, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
A code reader at the auto parts store. But if you read them again and they come up the same thing. Then that's probably what you have. A cat might be under warranty if the miles is not over the limit.idk

When was the last time you put plugs in?
plugs are about 10 thou miles ago along with a hi perf coil. car has 132 thou on it so no warrenty on the conv. any idea as to how much they charge to replace one? thanx, brian
Old 03 Feb 2013, 04:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

hi-perf coil. try placing the original coil back in and see if that clears up the problem.
Old 03 Feb 2013, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

What year is your Cruiser and how many miles? It sounds as if it jumped time. When I was researching your codes I did find reference to those two codes and the timing belt.
Old 03 Feb 2013, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
What year is your Cruiser and how many miles? It sounds as if it jumped time. When I was researching your codes I did find reference to those two codes and the timing belt.
it is a 2004 with the high output turbo and has about 134000 on it. i'm pretty sure the guy i bought it from had the timing belt changed as he gave me a pile of service records and seemed to take real good care of this cruiser. i'd call and ask him but he died last year and his wife knows nothing. i kinda thought it might be a timing issue also but when i bring the revs up in the driveway with it in park it is smooth as glass. thanx for your input.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
hi-perf coil. try placing the original coil back in and see if that clears up the problem.
took it in to the shop. they read the same codes i did but did not feel the02 sensors were the problem. guy colld hear an arc sound under the hood but could not see a flash and it did'nt show up on the computer reader. no codes showed a miss but it was for sure there. guy put the original back on and it seems okay for now. time will tell.