Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mounts Replaced Now Vibration at Idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2013, 07:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Motor Mounts Replaced Now Vibration at Idle

My buddy replaced both control arms with new complete Moog arms on Saturday. While doing so, he noticed that both Torque Strut Motor Mounts were broken. He replaced them with Anchor brand from Advance, the dealer was out of stock. During the test drive the car feels much smoother now over bumps.

Later that night I drove the car and noticed that you can really feel a vibration while at idle. As soon as I hit the gas, it's gone. But, man does it vibrate stuff.

On Monday morning, I started it to go to work and now it sounds like there's an exhaust leak. Not super loud, but definitely louder that it's been. I have to put the radio louder when I'm driving.

Does this make sense? Shouldn't it have less vibration now that the broken torque struts have been replaced? Or does this mean that one or both the other mounts are broken too? Could the vibration have caused the exhaust leak?
Old 04 Feb 2013, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mounts Replaced Now Vibration at Idle

New mounts tend to be stiff at first. Plus the mounts have a set procedure for installation. You won't have to remove them but you need to loosen them and set up as the book requires.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Feb 2013, 10:42 am
Cool Cruiser

I just read up on the precedure and it sounds like what my buddy did. He took the original measurement, cut a wire tie to the length. Then with both off he put the upper on and set it to the proper length with me forceing the engine back until it matched. Then he installed and tightened the lower one. We checked the measurement and it was still good.

Now after reading, the measurement was supposed to be 119mm or 4.70in. So, I'm going to check and see if that's where mine's at. I kind of remember it around 4.75in. Would that 0.05in make much of a difference?

If it's good, I guess I'll just give it some time to break in. Unless somebody else has something else to try.
Old 04 Feb 2013, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The adjustment is what we call engine position "float". While there is an exact procedure all it does is ensure that the engine is in the mounts neutral position so they give the best reduction in vibration. There is no other effect on the drive-train if that position is off although a mounts rubber may fracture sooner or you will experience more engine vibration then normal. These mounts are design to absorb most of the naturally occurring engine vibration. My thoughts are that you are experiencing what a new mount in your PT is suppose to feel like? There is no break in on these mounts but you will get use to the new engine feel at idle. or you will do what some of us no which is to pop the trans in neutral at every stop.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Feb 2013, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You need to perform the adj again. You said that you pushed the motor in place while he tightened up the top mount. If you let off on the pressure before he tightened up the lower one, you put stress on the upper mount. That's why you use a jack so when the upper rolls into position you can tighten both at the same time. Before releasing the jack.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Feb 2013, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You need to perform the adj again. You said that you pushed the motor in place while he tightened up the top mount. If you let off on the pressure before he tightened up the lower one, you put stress on the upper mount. That's why you use a jack so when the upper rolls into position you can tighten both at the same time. Before releasing the jack.
Alright, I'll have to do it again and use the jack with a block. When we did it, I was pushing on the front of the engine with a board, just for the top. The bottom was done under no pressure.
Old 04 Feb 2013, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

After these you should only feel the new stiffer rubber until they ware in some. According to the manual that's the correct procedure. Just make sure both mounts move freely when you loosen them, so they don't bind and get you off again. I only caught this from your detailed description of the install. Great job with that.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Feb 2013, 04:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Alright, couldn't wait until the weekend, so I took off to get a few thing done today. I loosened both the upper and lower torque strut bolts. Placed the jack under the engine and slightly jacked until in the correct place. Then tightened both up before removing the jack. It's still has a little vibration, but not as much as before. My wife says it is like it was when we got it. So, sounds like I'm good.

Thanks everybody for the help.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 05:13 pm
Young Cruiser

I think that is the last straw of an answer. Mine got worse with new mounts. The guy who installed them said he did it that way. But he is the guy that blew my valves. I raised the idle and it helped. But I will try your way. When I can. I have driven some with no vibration.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 05:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollanza View Post
I raised the idle
how?????