PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driving habits lead to overheating??

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vlefaive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2013, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Driving habits lead to overheating??

This is probably crazy, but here's the deal...Every car my wife drives ends up overheating after a couple weeks.

She drives a 99 jeep wrangler. It had some cooling problems years back and I figured it has a slightly warped head from her driving it hot on a few occasions. I'd fill the radiator and a coupe weeks later it would be overheating again. I put a 160 degree thermostat in it and that helped a little. However, the 160 wasn't keeping her feet warm so for the past 3 weeks or so she has been driving my 03 cruiser. During this time I put an OEM thermostat back in the jeep, blew out the heater core and a couple other small things... and I have been driving it. No overheating for me.

I drove my cruiser this morning and my temp was getting up around 60-70%. Usually it sits at half way and when it cycles the gauge drops a little. If this were the first time I'd dismiss it as a coincidence. This is the third time it's done it in a couple years. Everytime she takes the car for a week or two, when I get it back it's overheating. I never have problems reguardless of how long/hard I drive the thing. I used to deliver pizza in it, currently drive it about 300+ miles a week (highway and city) and never see the temps get abnormal.

So, my question is: are there driving habits that can cause a car to lose coolant? It seems crazy to even think it, but maybe you guys know something I don't.

Incidentally, both vehicles are manual transmissions. Pt is a base model and the jeep is a 4.0 if that helps. Also, no water in oil or oil in water, so I doubt it's a head gasket issue. Thanks
Old 04 Feb 2013, 03:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Driving habits lead to overheating??

no. i can beat the piss out of my car in the 100 degree summer heat and the temp gauge never moves. is it possible the fan is crapping out? or was it actually low on coolant?

Last edited by rob342; 04 Feb 2013 at 03:12 pm.
Old 04 Feb 2013, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

same here i have drove in 106 degree weather and even had to sit and ideal for over a hour and the temp guage never moves moving any air through the radiator will keep a car cool if everything is working or it should anyway
Old 04 Feb 2013, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe someone put the hex on her. Some people are a magnet for bad things.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Feb 2013, 04:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

She should meet my wife, every dollar she's ever touched bursts into flame
PTJunkie likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.