Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anchor Upper & Lower Motor Mounts ?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2013, 07:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Anchor Upper & Lower Motor Mounts ?

I'd like to know who used Anchor (torque strut) motor mounts? I'm talking about #2949 (lower) & #2948 (upper) found at advance auto parts. Mine were done on Saturday and there was significant vibration at idle while in drive compared to the broken ones. Found out the method was incorrect for the alignment, we only jacked the engine for the upper mount then released for lower.

On Wednesday I did the realignment again. This time jacking with both mounts loose then tightening both before releasing the jack. Vibration is a little better, but not like before.

Just curious if anybody else has tried these Anchor (torque strut) mounts and gotten no interior vibration. I'm considering getting Duralast mounts and replacing the Anchors, but I'd hate to do the work if it's not the mounts.
Old 07 Feb 2013, 08:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Anchor Upper & Lower Motor Mounts ?

did you adjust the mounts? or just install them

You need to measure the distance between the rear mounting bolt on the engine mount - to the hole on the shock tower bracket (the hole you need to measure from will be the FIRST hole to the left of the shock tower mounting bolt

The distance is 4.7 inches between those 2 points or like i think 19mm? *correct me if im wrong*

Leave the jack in place until mounts and strut are tightened and re-check nothing moved.

I have always had to rotate the engine back towards the firewall to get that measurement.

If you do not do this it can cause some pretty good vibration.
Old 07 Feb 2013, 08:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Installed on Saturday, but didn't do the alignment correctly. Redid alignment on Wednesday correctly at 4.7 in.

Have you used Anchor mounts before? I'm trying to determine if I just need to try to realign them or replace them.
Old 07 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I've noticed that no matter how many times I adjusted mine I still had a vibration at idle. The more I used the car the vibration diminished. I suggest you try the same.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 08 Feb 2013, 07:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
I've noticed that no matter how many times I adjusted mine I still had a vibration at idle. The more I used the car the vibration diminished. I suggest you try the same.
Did you use the Anchor brand mounts or a different one? I'm trying to decide if I should try a different brand.
Old 08 Feb 2013, 09:26 am
Cool Cruiser

I looked up the part number on the Anchor website and they list the lower one for an automatic transmission as #3169. I called them and they confirmed it's #3169.

Now trying to locate one has been hard. I'd like to replace it this weekend, but nobody local seems to have it. Any ideas?
Old 08 Feb 2013, 06:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I looked up the part number on the Anchor website and they list the lower one for an automatic transmission as #3169. I called them and they confirmed it's #3169.

Now trying to locate one has been hard. I'd like to replace it this weekend, but nobody local seems to have it. Any ideas?
check rockauto.com. Not sure if they carry that brand however.

I scoured the internet and cant find them myself either :/
Old 08 Feb 2013, 07:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was on AutoZone's website and found a Duralast brand motor mount by typing 3169 in the search area. It notes xref brand as Anchor and the number is 3169. Here's the listing:

OEM: 3169 | Motor Mount | AutoZone.com

And if I look up motor mounts by my car, you see it listed at the bottom. It's the only one that is for an automatic transmission. I picked it up and it looks just like the photo, no tab on the side. Hopefully this does the trick.

Motor Mount | 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 Cylinders B 2.4L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Hopefully we don't get too much snow in South Jersey tonight so I can replace the lower anchor mount (2949) with the duralast mount (3169). I'll keep you posted on the results.
Old 08 Feb 2013, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I was on AutoZone's website and found a Duralast brand motor mount by typing 3169 in the search area. It notes xref brand as Anchor and the number is 3169. Here's the listing:

OEM: 3169 | Motor Mount | AutoZone.com

And if I look up motor mounts by my car, you see it listed at the bottom. It's the only one that is for an automatic transmission. I picked it up and it looks just like the photo, no tab on the side. Hopefully this does the trick.

Motor Mount | 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 Cylinders B 2.4L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Hopefully we don't get too much snow in South Jersey tonight so I can replace the lower anchor mount (2949) with the duralast mount (3169). I'll keep you posted on the results.
we've got over a foot here in Maine. Good luck haha
Old 09 Feb 2013, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Not much snow here so I was able to pull the lower Anchor 2949. There is definitely a difference between them. Look at the photos:

[IMG][/IMG]

The upper one is the Duralast, which is a 3169 equivalent. You can see how it has the cut-out on the side. I noticed when removing the 2949, there was less than 1/8" clearance from the engine. I think this was hitting on acceleration, I thought it was an exhaust leak. I took it in and they told me there was no leak.

While doing the alignment, it noticed that the one week old upper Anchor 2948 mounts slot has indented already. So, I picked up a Duralast 2948 and here is the difference:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

In the upper photo, the Duralast is on the right and the lower photo the Duralast is on the left. In the upper side photo, it almost looks like the Anchor mount rubber it expanding out of the mount or was installed backwards, no wonder it was hard to get in place. The Duralast rubber is nice and tight.

In the lower photo, you can see how the Anchor adjustment hole is kind of mangled.

Now, after switching both mounts and doing the adjustments, the vibration isn't noticeable anymore. I took it for a test drive and what I thought was an exhaust leak isn't there either. I would recommend either getting factory or Duralast mounts, do not go with anchor mounts. If you do , make sure you get the 3169 & 2948. But, from what I can see, they're not as good. The Anchor mounts cost me doing the job 3 times and a day off work. I definitely learned that not all parts are equal. Hope this post helps others.
Busted_PT and boonie2 like this.