Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replaceing PT cruiser Trans- Prepping trans questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2013, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replaceing PT cruiser Trans- Prepping trans questions

My wife's 2002 PT Touring edition (auto, non turbo) transmission detonated last summer.... It was professionally rebuilt by a reputable shop right before I bought it 3 years ago....I think we've put about 70k on the rebuild.

Not sure what the failure was exactly...stated she heard a noise when going around a corner. I went and swapped vehicles with her and drove pt home. When backing out of the parking spot it felt jerky, but drove home in forward fine. Checked it out, found and changed bad motor mounts and backed it out of the shop...same little jerk jerk feel (like differential was binding)

Drove it to my buddys shop to put it in the air and forward was fine. Parked in front of his shop and that was the last it rolled..we went to back up and pull into the shop and pt won't move....won't even roll in nuetral.. I left it at his place all last year.

Anyway I got it back in my shop now, pulled the tranny pan and large chunks of metal fell out, and now wouldn't you know it the wheels spin now

My first thought was to break out some jb weld and see if I could glue all the chunks back...next morning when my hangover abated I realize the folly of that great idea i had the night before

So, I've purchased a clean used trans with about 100k. Obviously besides changing filter is there anything particular I ought to do while it's still sitting on the floor in the shop?

My buddy and I are going to slap it in Monday. I was initially going to slap in the trans and sell the pt. But the Wife really loves it, it is the nice super duper leather etc model.

So would appreciate the experts thoughts on anything I might do prior to the install, and if I should even keep it after doing so. Also any thoughts on the random out of the blue failure? (Fluid was red, not burned, no leaks, levels fine)

I am a little leery of a car that trans just randomly lock up... All I can think is what if the wheels locked at speed with her driving, which I HAVE HEARD does happen with pt's on occasion...
Old 08 Feb 2013, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replaceing PT cruiser Trans- Prepping trans questions

First I read on that. Seen a case of it on another make car once. Twisted the axles. Is there any other drivers of the car since you've owned it? You could buy a kit for it. The kind if damage usually is a result of rough treatment. Executive spinning while stuck up or hard acceleration from dead stop. Maybe left over hair line fracture that finally gave up the ghost.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Feb 2013, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

No other drivers...We bought it from the first owner, who just had the transmission rebuilt (it even came with transferable warranty that of course is now expired)

It was driven by the wife, sometimes me. I am a mechanic and own an auto shop, so it was babied

Go figger huh?
Old 08 Feb 2013, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would slap a couple mopar speed sensors in it and maybe the axle seal while you have it out.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 08 Feb 2013, 02:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm doing an auto to manual swap in one of my BMWs right now, and while the 5 speed is on the floor, I figured it was a good time to replace all the seals and sensors ("all" the sensors consists of the reverse sensor on a 5 speed )

Not much else to do in terms of prepping it. Reseal it, clean it, and install it!

You might also replace the range sensor, which requires removal of the valve body.

Last edited by heifetz17; 08 Feb 2013 at 02:18 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 07:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

The New Trans is in

It really wasn't that difficult. Another mechanic friend and myself took about 4 hours to pull the old and install the new....then the next morning took about 2 more hours to put the axles and all the rest back together...

Wife is happy her car is fixed...I guess we'll just end up keeping it
Old 13 Feb 2013, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just be sure to only ever put ATF + 4 in that tranny, and flush it every 50,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles