Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Subtle shake with ticking while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2013, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Subtle shake with ticking while driving

93k miles on a 2007 touring edition. Car has developed a sort of fast paced thump at speed. The steering wheel gives feedback from this and you can feel it in the car, especially the footwell. Its not associated with RPM, only with tire speed. Tires are not out of round and have nothing in the tread.

I'm thinking either cv joint or wheel bearing. Could an axle bearing also cause this?

Another symptom is the tires wearing on the outer edge in the front faster than the rest of the tires. Could these problems be associated? I was told earlier this is probably a control arm bushing issue. I have a free day tomorrow with a lift so I'd like to get this taken care of. Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 08 Feb 2013, 11:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Subtle shake with ticking while driving

Meant to say ball joint, not control arm
Old 08 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Both edges of the tire or just one edge of the tire? Check for tie rod, ball joint, bent rim also check bushings.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Feb 2013, 12:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if it's a humming it's likely a wheelbearing. so far in mine i've changed wheelbearings, but i've also replaced the lower arms as my balljoints and bushings were also worn out. my tie rod end also had some play in it.

what i mean is the noise you hear is probably a bearing if it gets louder as speed increases. it should also get louder and quieter as you swerve right and left. IMO you will most likely find other stuff worn out as well.

ball joints, tie rod ends, a need for an alignment, low air pressure, and cornering fast can all make the tire wear funny.

when i had my lincoln my rear right tire would wear 3x faster than the rest because it would spin a little when i'd turn right. on my civic the outer edge of the drivers side tire would wear the quickest because i'd take exit ramps like an indy car driver.

hope this gives you some things to consider.

Last edited by rob342; 08 Feb 2013 at 12:24 pm.
Old 08 Feb 2013, 05:27 pm
Young Cruiser

There isn't a humming, just the tapping noise. Ill check the tires
Old 08 Feb 2013, 09:15 pm
Young Cruiser

drove it more, the sound could be called "humming" but its more of a pulsating humming.

the front drivers side tire is wearing significantly on the outside and the passenger front is wearing more on the inside
Old 10 Feb 2013, 01:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Since you feel it in the steering wheel, it could be a tire out of balance;or a cv joint going bad. The tire wear is due to an alignment problem. Check ball joints, tie rod ends, lower control arm bushings [rear especially], etc. before having the alignment done. There are some excellent pictures of good vs bad bushings on the suspension site. A big THANK YOU to the person that posted them.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

It may be more than one problem. As for some of the wear and noise problems, you had it right with the control arm, the bushings are problably trashed if the balljoint is worn. My 06 has about 97K now, I changed my control arms at around 82K after thumps on the right side since I bought it at 56K and the chattering during breaking that started around 75K. The right one fell off the car when I removed the front bolt, the rear rubber had released its bond. Get the MOOG's if you do replace them.

The ticking noise I still have, I say it sounds more like a rattle paint can sound, doesn't really get louder just faster shaking the can until you don't really hear it due to road noise, but at slow speeds and in concrete parking garages, you do. I don't know how long I have had that paintcan noise, I had the 17in spoke wheels on before changes back to the stock wheels with 205/60/15's and half moon hubcaps about a year ago. At that time the noise was not as noticable when I removed the caps. The two caps on the drivers side also twist and bend the valve stem back, on the passenger side they do not. So I feel the ticking paint can noise is on the drivers side, but get no noise when testing on a lift with no load on the wheels. Hopefully somebody can help us with that part of your problem.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 14 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm
Young Cruiser

bottlerocket, I know this is probably not your problem, but it's a funny story. When I worked in a shop years ago, before ABS brake systems were common in cars, a guy brought in his car complaining that the car thumped when he drove it. I took it out for a test drive and sure enough, it had a pronounced thump that increased with wheel speed. After looking over his car's tires, I found the problem. He had, at one time, done a really hard panic stop that must have locked up all four wheels. He literally sanded off a little flat spot on each of his 4 tires. It was hard to see just by looking at them, but it showed up when they were spun. The tires were round all right, except in one little spot. Needless to say, he had to replace all 4 of his tires.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser