battery doesnt charge.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2013, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default battery doesnt charge.

I have a 2001 PT. Recently i changed my alternator in july of 2012. In
Sept my battery started to go bad. I replaced it. At the end of Oct my car stated dieing after after 15 mins of driving. Id get a jump and get home. Now the battery will not charge with the car. It charges on a charger just fine. I pulled the alternator and it tested fine. I replaced it anyways. It still wont charge. After charging on the charger the car will run for 5 min before batt light comes on. The i lose all power. No light radio nothing. Last year i had a wiring issue were the axle boot melted wires going to my alternator and crank shart sensor. I had the wires repaird. I check them and they look fine. I hav had 3 electrical mechanics tel me on the phone its my computer. While 2 ohers hav said its probably just a short. Anyone hav a simular issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08 Feb 2013, 04:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: battery doesnt charge.

the alternator output is controlled by the computer in these cars. i never had and hopefully never will have this problem, but i thought this thread was interesting: MYSTERY! Wiring from Alternator to PCM makes the it run, WHY?... Help please

here are more links you may want to look through. just a better way to search this forum
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aptcruise...alternator+pcm searches with alternator and PCM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aptcruise...alternator+ecu searches with alternator and ECU <-better results IMO

Last edited by rob342; 08 Feb 2013 at 04:51 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 02:44 am
Senior Cruiser

From a 2001 sebring wiring diagram: fuse 25 [20 amp] provides 12v to the field.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So i took it to an Electrical Mechanic. I was told it is not the computer it my alternator. They want to pull it and charge me for a brand new one. I tell them i have it under warranty from Autozone but they refuse to put it on. They will only put on theirs, which is $250 plus labor. This is why my car sat for 6 months i knew i would get screwed if i couldnt fix it myself. I guarantee its not even the alternator. after i told him it tested just fine he then tries to tell me it does indeed charge a little but not enough and it must be an 80 amp not a 120 amp and thats my issue. But he cant confirm that unless he pulls it which I have to pay for.
So i called Autozone so they could pull it up on the computer. They said the Alternator they gave me is 120 amp.

The wiring to the PCM (from the alternator) is messed up so they are repairing that. I just hope that solves my issue.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you are the type to save paperwork, you might do a little digging. autozone alternators all come with a sheet similar to this in the box(i believe it should be yellow). it will tell you exactly what that alternator puts out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HO_zps011ebb9a.jpg (91.2 KB, 63 views)
UptownSport likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 03:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

So we break it down,

The alternator works; doesn't matter WHAT amp it is, it does work.

Battery is known good.

What remains????????????????????????????????????

Regulator (located in PCM)

Regulator wiring

Fusible link

I wouldn't take vehicle to the 'Electrical Mechanic' anymore.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Assumption is alternator is actually being driven; hate to make assumptios, though!!
Old 30 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They replaced the wiring from PCM to the alternator. Car ran fine for 2 weeks. then teh battery light came on again and it also started misfiring like it does with a bad Crankshaft sensor. I took it back to the "electrical" shop and they tell me its the alternator again. i swapped it out with a new one. battery seems to charge after 5 mins of running but the car is still misfiring.
Gona test drive in the AM.
Old 01 May 2013, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So the car is now charging. There is still hesitation. I took it back to the same shop after i replaced the Alternator. They tell me they have NO CLUE what is wrong wit it because it wont code.
ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? WTF did mechanics do before computers told them what was wrong with it?