PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2009 PT CRUISER WON'T START PLEASE HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2013, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2008 PT CRUISER WON'T START PLEASE HELP!

HELLO, I HAVE A2008 PT CRUISER BASE MODEL THAT WILL NOT START RANDOMLY. IT ISN'T ALL THE TIME. IT HAPPENS AFTER SITTING A WHILE BUT NOT USUALLY IN THE MORNING. IT CLICKS WHILE ATTEMPTING TO START & ALL ELECTRICAL THINGS WORK (LIGHTS, RADIO) IT HAS 105K. JUST REPLACED HEAD GASKET & HAD TUNE UP IDK IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE OR NOT BUT IT STARTED DOING THIS AFTER I HAD THE WORK DONE. I HAVE HAD THE SYSTEM CONTROL MODULE CHANGED @65K. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ALL PLACES WANT TO CHARGE ME TO FIND THE PROBLEM B/C THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON. I HAVE HAD THE BATTERY & ALTERNATOR CHECKED@WALMART (I KNOW NOT VERY RELIABLE)

Last edited by Lori; 09 Feb 2013 at 07:10 pm. Reason: title should say 2008 instead of 2009
Old 09 Feb 2013, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2009 PT CRUISER WON'T START PLEASE HELP!

Forgot to add it gets jumped off perfectly fine
Old 09 Feb 2013, 08:57 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: 2009 PT CRUISER WON'T START PLEASE HELP!

Dang that is alot of miles.

Sounds electrical to me, perhaps you will need to have it diagnosed by a reputable shop or dealer, which will cost you some money.

Places that test things for free (walmart, autozone etc)are good if you aren't able to test things out yourself and they are free.

I can change out bolt on parts, batteries etc, but I don't diagnose.

I dunno, good luck, come back and let us know what fixed it
Old 09 Feb 2013, 09:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Could be a simple bad connection to your battery. This could still allow enough power for dash lights, radio, etc

Get someone to apply pressure to cable ends while someone tries ignition.

Hope this helps

Let us know what it was
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 09 Feb 2013, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a battery test good at Walmart that I knew was bad. It had a dead cell. So I discharged the battery and their tester said it was bad and gave me a replacement. The cables have a few places that they connect up to the car. Not just the battery. Cleaning these would eliminate these out of the equation. One big ground that gets missed is behind the air filter box on the driver side inner finder. A load test on the battery would be the best way to be sure there. One more thing Busa only drives his about 125 miles a month. So he is a little bias on mileage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 09 Feb 2013 at 10:44 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2013, 10:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

here is how a car starts :-D
A car engine starts thanks to the ignition system. This is the unit that supplies the energy to get the motor going. The ignition system begins with a key, which you insert and turn, and ends with a spark that ignites combustion in the cylinders. This combustion is what starts the engine. It is important to note that everything up until the moment of combustion in the car cylinders is part of the ignition system.

Basically the battery holds all the power.

When you start the car by turning the key, several parts are set into motion. First the starter motor comes to life, then the engine begins to turn and the spark plugs fire. When the key is turned, the starter motor "turns the engine over," which means it turns the crankshaft which in turn gets the pistons moving in the cylinders. This starts the engine cycle. Air and fuel is drawn into the cylinders, it is compressed and the then the spark plugs fire. This begins combustion.

well clicking is a 100% sign that the starter is engaging but there is NO POWER going to it.

Hence why a car clicks when you turn the key and the battery is dead :-D

If your battery is NOT dead.

This leaves you with one option.

There is a bad/weak connection somewhere

Heres a few places to look

battery post terminals.

Starter :-D

Computer

Grounds

Check all of these, remove and clean them all, put some of that grease they sell at autozone in the little packets on all the connections.

then tighten them down like your life depends on it.

the tighter, the better *just dont strip them ;-)*

A loose connection can cause you a slue of problems

From as simple as a car not starting.

to as severe as the electrical current arching off the battery posts, and melting the lead terminals to the battery/setting your engine compartment on fire.

So check all the connections, and the grounds.
A failed starter will just try to turn over and slowly stop trying to turn over , usually accompanied by bluish smoke coming from the starter *so this isnt your problem*

A failed ignition ....well nothing will happen at all youll turn the key and zip....nothing happens *so this isnt your issue either*.

A failed battery or bad power connection will cause a *click click click click* noise when you turn the key :-D

So start there and let us know what you find :-)

Last edited by pluminator; 09 Feb 2013 at 10:45 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys for the help! I drive a lot only have one car between my husband &i so we put about 200 miles a day on it. That's prob why i am having so many problems. How long do pts last?

Tags
clicking noise, electrical, won't start