Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 pt cruizer gt having trouble starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2013, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 pt cruizer gt having trouble starting

well i bought it about a week ago, it needed a battery and some bodywork, it sat for about 3 years before i bought it, but when i start it its takes forever, sometimes i hold the key for 30+ seconds before it starts, it needs a gas cap but i dont think its that, and it does overheat when its idling, i need help, this is my only car. and i need it for work, can anyone help me?
Old 10 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 pt cruizer gt having trouble starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by madden03pt View Post
well i bought it about a week ago, it needed a battery and some bodywork, it sat for about 3 years before i bought it, but when i start it its takes forever, sometimes i hold the key for 30+ seconds before it starts, it needs a gas cap but i dont think its that, and it does overheat when its idling, i need help, this is my only car. and i need it for work, can anyone help me?
Few things to check.

Starting.

You said the battery is new so thats not the issue.

Check all the connections that come off the battery, and make sure they are corrosion free, and TIGHT.

Second check the starter, tap it a few times with a wrench or something then try to turn it over, if it cranks over right after, starter needs to be replaced.

Throw new spark plugs and wires at it, and make sure its getting spark.

Also replace the air filter. you need the correct Air/fuel mixture to start an engine if its clogged, this could cause issues.

Also have your fuel pressure tested at your local shop. Low fuel pressure can cause delayed starts.

Hope this helps :-)