Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ping/rattle from cheap gas...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2013, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ping/rattle from cheap gas...

Getting a light rattle when I run 89 octane or lower. I've read that's from a tiny bit of gas getting into the cylinder early. Is that true and is there a way to fix it? Recently replaced the plugs wires and cover gasket.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ping/rattle from cheap gas...

Run some fuel injector cleaner through it can't hurt. Also might try a different brand of fuel.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Feb 2013, 03:09 am
Senior Cruiser

I believe PT's have a knock sensor.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes to everything and as usual a new member with little information to help them?
Try..

What PT you have
What country you are in
How many miles on your PT

To start?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 08:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you have a turbo you shouldn't run that low of octane. I agree with Nitro more info is needed.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 13 Feb 2013, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry guys. It's a 03 base. Had a motor swap last year. Car has 190k+, motor has about 70k. I'm in the US, specifically Nashville, Tennessee. I filled it up with 93 octane the other day and haven't had a chance to drive too far yet as I work within 2 miles if my house. I've helped my dad work on older, pre-efi cars and he always used a timing light to make slight adjustments for this kind of thing. I wasn't sure if there was a way to adjust the timing or if it would have to be reprogrammed or something beyond my abilities. Thanks and I apologize for the lack of info earlier.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In the old days, this would call for a "highway tuneup". You find an open stretch of road and floor the throttle, and hopefully burn off some of the carbon deposits inside the cylinder that are causing your pre-ignition (ping).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Feb 2013, 11:56 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3jj View Post
Sorry guys. It's a 03 base. Had a motor swap last year. Car has 190k+, motor has about 70k. I'm in the US, specifically Nashville, Tennessee. I filled it up with 93 octane the other day and haven't had a chance to drive too far yet as I work within 2 miles if my house. I've helped my dad work on older, pre-efi cars and he always used a timing light to make slight adjustments for this kind of thing. I wasn't sure if there was a way to adjust the timing or if it would have to be reprogrammed or something beyond my abilities. Thanks and I apologize for the lack of info earlier.
Can't change the timing, it's computer controlled. but you might want to try some other brand of fuel first. Then if that doesn't fix things, replace the spark plugs and the wires if they're either old or original. If the ends of the plugs are really crusted with carbon, then you'll know that there is a lot of carbon buildup in the cylinders, which WILL cause knocking. 2 reasons. The buildup of carbon raises the compression ratio and the carbon coating in the cylinder head tends to heat up in spots and burn while the engine is running. That essentially acts like a continuously ON spark plug, igniting the fuel prematurely when it's injected. Lastly, the knock sensor might be bad, so try replacing that if all other things fail.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser