PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 cruiser P0340 code

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2013, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 cruiser P0340 code

My daughter has a 2006 cruiser that died on her yesterday. She said check engine light came on and she coasted to a stop car would not restart. After towing car home I checked codes using the ignition and came up with a P0304. changed plugs, wires, and intake gaskets still no joy. Borrowed a obd reader and read codes this morning P0304 is cleared now have a P0340. Need help or ideas as to how to proceed to get car running again. Her pt has a non turbo 2.4 . I have read through the other post and have no idea what direction to turn. I want my truck back.

Last edited by yukonak2; 13 Feb 2013 at 09:49 am.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 10:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 06 cruiser P0340 code

Pull the cam sensor and have somebody crank the car while you look in the hole. If the magnet isn't spinning inside the hole while it is cranking she broke the timing belt. How many mile are on it?
Old 13 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

she has 82,000 miles on it pulled the sensor to check both ends of wiring reinstalled now it is throwing a Po113 code this thing is driving me crazy. thanks for the suggestion I'll go pull the sensor and see if it is turning or not in the mean time. any and all help will be greatly appreciated
Old 13 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ray you're the man. I did as you said and pulled the sensor off again had the engine cranked over and magnet did not move. so I guess I'm going to learn how to change a timing belt on a 06 cruiser, any hints on that one I'm going to look through the old post also for helpful hints. thank you for the helpful ideas

Pat Wilson
Phoenix Az
Old 13 Feb 2013, 01:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here are some I found in our how to section:

ever replace timing belt in a pt cruiser
Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions
Timming Belt Change Help-Getting to tensioner
Old 13 Feb 2013, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are some how to's and also look up harmonic balancer removal which has some useful hints. Or look on my members project page Busted_pt project 1. I have some good pics and tips there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Feb 2013, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

decided this may be more of a job than I want to attempt. Called a local shop to get an idea of the cost quoted me from 850 to a 1000 dollars, does that sound right? also said when timing belt goes also probably damaged the engine (valves, pistons) do you know anything about this?
Old 13 Feb 2013, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not on a 2.4. Rarely will the valves hit each other hard enough to hurt one and not possible for the pistons to touch one. It's a non interference engine. But you want to do the water pump to while your there. Price about right. What they don't do on head work will be made up for in labor. Worries me they didn't know about the noninterference engine. So I'm betting they have not done one of these before.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Feb 2013, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

not only haven't I done one of these before but I think I will pass on this and let a real mechanic do it who knows what to do and look for. from what you said about being no way to damage the valves seems to me that I need to talk to a different mechanic. Know any good ones in the Phoenix area by chance

Thanks
Pat
Old 13 Feb 2013, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonak2 View Post
not only haven't I done one of these before but I think I will pass on this and let a real mechanic do it who knows what to do and look for. from what you said about being no way to damage the valves seems to me that I need to talk to a different mechanic. Know any good ones in the Phoenix area by chance

Thanks
Pat
Just you!
mityqwik likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com