• 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 2 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By ROCKETMAN8060

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Puddin
Talking throttle body cleaning?

How do I clean the Throttle Body? Its been recommended here that I do this because my 04 is idling and hesitating. I am so confused
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: throttle body cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
How do I clean the Throttle Body? Its been recommended here that I do this because my 04 is idling and hesitating. I am so confused
Remove the intake hose from the throttle body and spray it down real well with throttle body cleaner. Manually open the flap and clean back in there to. Allow to set a few minutes to evaporate and put it back together and see what that will do. It's good for it even if you don't fix this issue.
Puddin likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The engine might stumble a bit when you start it back up because of any carbon build-up that you sprayed into the upper manifold, just keep it at a higher than normal idle with your foot till it all clears up.

While your at it, you might take the negative batter cable off while your cleaning the TB to reset the computer and clear out any old fault codes. Can't hurt.
Puddin likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

it's only 4 bolts. take it off and clean it. then you wont be spraying more crap into the motor. you can take the idle air control valve off the throttle body and clean that too. the IAC is probably the part that is dirty.
CREWZIN and Puddin like this.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 04:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So I wonder why that was recommend? On the PT's engine it is nothing more then an air valve? I mean it won't hurt just not what I would have recommend for a hesitation in an inductive system such as it is on a PT?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Feb 2013, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: throttle body cleaning?

Thank you ALL. It was recommend in this forum to clean the throttle body as a way of ridding my 04 of the hesitations he's having at idle, stop signs and start off's. This hesitation happens even when the engine is warm.
I have had to replace 2 cam sensors at 2 different times. Both times the engine did this for a couple weeks before the codes came up.
I have had him for 2 years in June. I do regular maintenance and have replaced 4 spark plug (2 were cracked)and the water pump because of a leak. While it was torn apart I also replaced the timing belt.
I am grateful for any help I can get.
Can you all think of another reason for this problem?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 12:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Thank you ALL. It was recommend in this forum to clean the throttle body as a way of ridding my 04 of the hesitations he's having at idle, stop signs and start off's. This hesitation happens even when the engine is warm.
I have had to replace 2 cam sensors at 2 different times. Both times the engine did this for a couple weeks before the codes came up.
I have had him for 2 years in June. I do regular maintenance and have replaced 4 spark plug (2 were cracked)and the water pump because of a leak. While it was torn apart I also replaced the timing belt.
I am grateful for any help I can get.
Can you all think of another reason for this problem?
Did you change the spark plug cables in your tune up? The factory ones are crapy!
Puddin likes this.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: throttle body cleaning?

Thank you NitroPT, BustedPT, Crewzin, rob342, Rocketman8060.
The wires were new in 2011 and are MOPAR.
This hesitation or BURPING has been a constant problem since my purchase. I have blown the CamShaft and CrankShaft sensors TWICE
At the last replacement it was recommended that I replace the ignition coil? and the Plenum Gasket ?
I have read here that they RARELY need replacement. I believe you all. But could they be right? Could this be the reason for the burping or hesitation at idle and acceleration???
Old 17 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you can get a vacuum gauge and connect up to a direct vacuum source from the engine it may tell you a little more what is going on? I would say have the engine checked for cylinder leakage as well. If you are not showing a code and have had the ram checked for stored codes then you may simply have a mechanical condition that is not emission related.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:23 am
Senior Cruiser

I would change the pcv valve [$10 at mopar] and clean the little filter in the air box that goes to the valve cover. Spark plugs--champion re16mc @ .040 --Mopar plug wires are fine, and they fit great. I could tell you a long story about Belden wires and ngk plugs, but I am running low on valium.