Advertisements
Cruiser Will Not Start

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2013, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser Will Not Start

Hi (first time poster)
My daughter has an 03 Cruiser (non turbo) auto, 67k miles. The car will not start. It will turn over as if it is about to but nothing. We had this problem before and took it to mehanic and they did the full work up and said the coil needed to be replaced. It ran for about a month and is doing the same thing again.
Things done:
Fuel pressure,pump,injectors: OK
Pressure check (I guess for line leaks):OK
Coil (fire in all): OK
Timing belt: Mechanic says OK
Air Filer:OK
Cam sensor and crank sensor: OK
Oil Senor: Replaced
I did have oil in cylinder 1 a month ago but replaced seals all looks ok.

I have read just about all the posting on this and keep thinking that the timing belt is the problem. I removed the Cam Sensor and turned the engine over and the cam turned. Could the the cam still turn if the belt is bad or going bad. I also got a p0522 code but that sensor had been replaced. Would that code stop it from starting?
Any input/info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
Old 18 Feb 2013, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser Will Not Start

Cam can't turn if belt is broken.
Have you tried a jump start? Sometimes when battery gets low on a PT, it cranks burt won't start.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Feb 2013, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Quiclsilverdon

Thanks for the response. The battery was low and I did jump it off, but still nothing. I also put the battery on charger, still just turns over but will not start.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The P0522 (Oil Pressure Sensor) shouldn't have anything to do with starting BUT I've personally seen where it did. Tried to help tow ladies stalled at a light and the code was for the sensor but wouldn't start. Called for a tow to the local Chrysler dealer and they couldn't find anything so changed the sensor and off they went.

You've changed the sensor and still have the code? Did you clear the fault codes after changing the sensor, and the same code came back? If YES, start checking the wiring harness from the sensor to make sure there's no break anywhere.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for responding Crewzin. I got the P0522 code last week before it quit. I towed it home and had new fuel pump and injectors replaced because I did not hear the fuel pump kick in when I tried to start figuring that maybe the pump burned out from daughter (constantly) trying to start it. The battery was disconnected druing all this so basically all codes cleared. The car has not started yet so I really don't know if the P0522 code cleared. I talked to another dealership and they said that maybe some teeth may broke or worn on the crank (I am asssuming on the timing assembly) They quoted me a price for the timing belt repair $1250. They said that water pump and timing assembly would have to be replaced and that it was a very time consuming thing. He said that basically a portion of the front end would have to be removed but that they could get it done in a day. The oil sensor was purchased about 2 months ago so I do not know if it is still under warranty but will check and see.
Thanks
Tony
Old 19 Feb 2013, 02:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's about right (maybe a tad high) for the price of the timing belt replacement BUT they aren't sure if it IS the belt so they want you to invest a lot of money for a guess on their part. They should be able to tell if the timing is off with all the equipment they have. I wish I could tell you more but I wouldn't put that kind of money out unless they give you some sort of guarantee that it would be fixed when they open it up.

You actually didn't say that the Oil Pressure Sensor was changed, unless I missed it. You said you got the code and towed it home and changed the fuel pump.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed the oil sensor in Dec '12 but my daughter said the cel came on when she tried to restart. Actually she said the vehicle started but she had to run back in to the dorm and turned it off. When she returned to restart it, it would just turn over. I had her to cycle and check codes and p0522 came up. I came and picked it up a few days later. When I got there I tried to start it and did not hear the fuel pump. Once I got it home I tried again and still did not hear it and there was little to no pressure in fuel rail. That's when I had the pump and injectors replaced (I do not know how many times my daughter tried to start it. Her "few" times translates into many) I am going to have a (friend) certified mechanic take a look at it. He said that he put a timing belt assembly kit on a pt cruiser about 2 months ago. I did look at a the sensor and did not see any oil leaks around it or any breaks in the wire. I have not replaced it though. I am going to wait and see what the mechanic says. Will keep the forum posted on the results.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Small Update: cycled system and got no codes but cel stays on. Slightly opend plactic casing to view timing belt, turned engine over and belt looks to move fine.
Question: What would cause the cel to come on but no codes and can a code scanner read it?

Still going to drop it off (tonite or tomorrow) to mechanic but curious about cel and no codes.
Thanks
Old 25 Feb 2013, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update.
Shop got the car running. Their diagnosis was a MAP Sensor gone bad. They put it on their diagnostic machine and it gave P0068, P0113, P0108, P0562 and P0700. None of the codes appeared when I did the cycle dance last week. The p0522 code did not appear.
Thanks
Tony
Old 26 Feb 2013, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The P0700 is transmission - keep an eye on that - maybe have transmission flushed - runs about $200 (and ONLY ATF + 4).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles