Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel pump going out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2013, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Fuel pump going out?

In November I took the PT on a road trip from vegas to show low az. On my way back to Vegas, going up a hill she started sputtering, shaking and when I tried to accelerate she wouldnt. Almost as if I was running out of gas. I pulled over, turned it off and restarted....ran fine all the way home. Every now and then it starts doing this same thing, I cant really pin point anything specific that I am doing when this happens. Most the time I can turn off and restart and it will temporarily go away but other times it takes me 2 or 3 trys to get it started. Let me tell you this is no fun, especially when in front of a semi on the highway.

I also noticed that the little metal circle that covers the hole where you insert the gas nozzle is missing. Could that have fallen into the tank and block the fuel from getting anywhere?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP
Old 21 Feb 2013, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel pump going out?

Don't think this is a fuel pump. They don't usually come and go. Have you seen the engine lite on?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Feb 2013, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it is on
Old 21 Feb 2013, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by desarae77 View Post
Yes it is on
Did you try pulling any fault codes from the computer?

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No will have to do that. Didnt know if someone had this issue before.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Don't think this is a fuel pump. They don't usually come and go. Have you seen the engine lite on?
Although the fuel pump isnt the problem. Iv had a few cars where the fuel pump will intermittently work. They wouldnt start. So id go back shopping. Come back out about a half hour later and would fire right up. Replaced the fuel pump and never had that problem again. Just figured id throw that in. But to the op, id deff get those codes checked. Its just a guessing game without them.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

P 0038 & P 0340
Old 21 Feb 2013, 07:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by desarae77 View Post
P 0038 & P 0340
I know the 0340 is the cam sensor. Was going to suggest hat as when mine went out itd have trouble starting but still start and unplug the battery for 10 seconds and itd reset. If you wan. Cruizin might suggest this but to check wiring first that leads to the cam and crank shaft sensor. Also its best to replace the cam and crank sensor at the same time and DO NOT get on from advance auto, autozone or napa. Only get those from a dealer or they wont work. And i believe the 0038 is o2 sensor
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Right on all counts. Buy only the MOPAR Camshaft sensor and we have heard of both an intermittent sensor and the wiring harness giving problem (mine did).

Don't really think you need the Crankshaft sensor at the same time, but can't hurt.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Feb 2013 at 09:22 pm.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 08:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I only mentioned the crankshaft sensor because like you said it wouldn't hurt and when my cam sensor went bad I replaced it with one from a dealer and a week later I had the crank sensor code. After I replaced that one with one from the dealer also and haven't had a problem since so save yourself time if you have the money and get both. I think I paid like 160$ for both.

Tags
fuel pump, no acceleration, out of gas, shaking