Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Touring Edition. Fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2013, 04:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Touring Edition. Fan

HI everyone. First time poster here. Altho i have been lurking and reading alot. I recently bought a 05 touring edition that was not running for a great price of 350.00 . After Replacing the timing belt I have a great running car and a awsome price. Its in great shape and look forward to having it for a long long time. So for the nitty gritty.

I am having 2 small issues with the PT. the first is the AC isnt turning on the fan when it is engauged but the fan will come on when the engine needs cooling. So after reading lots of post I think it could be the fan. The question is can the single cooling fan have just the low side operation go out or is it a relay or sensor that I havent checked. I have checked all the fuses in the car and relays under the hood except one. Its a bigger relay in the lower left of the box as your standing looking in.

The second isnt realy a problem but it seems to idle a little rough for my liking. but i havent owned a 4 cylinder car in a long time. Ill go get a new PCV valve in the morning and try replacing that. Any input would be welcomed and thanks for having me in your forums.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Touring Edition. Fan

Welcome to the forum.

In the picture below, you can see the inner workings of the fan. As you can see, a couple of the brushes are quite small (worn out), that would stop the fan from running one just one speed, usually the low speed, so the answer to your question is YES, only one speed can burn out.

The rough idle could be caused by a number of different things. When was the last time the spark plugs AND wires were changed?

Old 22 Feb 2013, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea when the plugs and wires were last changed. I bought it not running. It has 107,000 miles on it now. I think ill start with replacing the fan and go from there. So I can get air in the car and then address the idle issue. Its not idling real bad but rougher then I think it should.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan will cause rough idle with AC on if fan is bad on that side.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Feb 2013, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok i fixed the issue. It was the fan. After doing alot of research and help on the forums I was able to knock it out. I took jumper wires and it would only come on on one side of the 3. Here is a pic of the bad part. forgot to get other pics while I was fixing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pt cruiser fan motor.jpg (41.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 23 Feb 2013, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok off topic. how do I post a pic in the message and not as a attachment??????
Old 23 Feb 2013, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The picture has to be on the internet, not from your home computer on iphone. Someplace like a free web hosting site like Photobucket. From there, it can be downloaded by copying the URL from the host website directly to the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Feb 2013 at 03:26 pm.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

GOT IT !!!

Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitec1001 View Post
Ok i fixed the issue. It was the fan. After doing alot of research and help on the forums I was able to knock it out.
I want to thank CREWZIN and everyone else on the forums who have posted about the bad radiator fan problem. My PT was also stumbling with the A/C running while idling. I had it checked last summer and the mechanic told me the compressor was dying - about $1k to replace. They couldn't explain why I never experienced any kind of "drag" from the AC when the car was moving. Something didn't sound right about that diagnosis so I Googled it - and this forum is what I found.

I ordered a new fan earlier this week and installed the new fan today. Problem solved!