PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Cruiser w/ Turbo

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2013, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Cruiser w/ Turbo

Ok, So I bought a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible with a turbo in it. Every day since then it has been in the shop...
I work in Buckhead, Ga and live in Acworth, Ga which is about 26 miles. So, I can leave work, get on the highway and cruise home with the temperature gauge stuck in the center like it is supposed to. When I get off the highway, it overheats at the red lights.
The mechanics are putting on something called an air dam (said it was missing).
They have checked the head gasket, pressured the radiator, checked the water pump, made sure the thermostat was opening (by taking the cap off and watching the fluid in the radiator). Checked the gauges. Did some kind of test on the fan to make sure it was running properly and has assured me that the coolant is running through the radiator (thus no blockage).
They have put the car out in the parking lot and let it run, runs normally. They put the car on blocks and applied some gas (for some time) and it ran normally.... or so they say...
Always wanted a PT Cruiser but I'm starting to rethink that position.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 22 Feb 2013, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Cruiser w/ Turbo

I reckon my question is, this air dam thing as described to me is a scoop that goes down under the fog lamps that will scoop the air into the engine compartment to keep it cool.
I am by no means a mechanic, but I fail to understand how this will help me when the car overheats at red lights, but is ok on the highway with a 50mph wind? Besides the fact that I looked at pictures and it appears that the air dam is a thin piece of plastic that is like 1" long.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read my post.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 07:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Definitely not the air dam, my turbo does not have one either and runs just fine. I'm thinking your fan is not engaging into hi speed.

Old 22 Feb 2013, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you sir.
I tried telling the mechanic that over the phone but he said his people specifically tested the fan. *Beating my head against the wall*
Old 22 Feb 2013, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Fan's a very common problem.... As a two speed I've read that if it fails you will encounter overheating while still under the impression it's working.
Check the search feature, full of similar issues.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 08:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I thought the turbo models had the variable speed fan and only the NA's had the two speed fan.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't say how many miles you have. I would guess that the brushes in the fan motor are worn to the point were it works sometimes and not at other times. or a faulty relay. Assuming all other cooling issues are good.
That peace that they are talking about will not fix your heating issues or cause them.
They are frustrated and grasping at straws. They just need to check the things they have ruled out again.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Nothing particularly wrong with you car or the model. I would say the problem is with your mechanic, I would get a new one. How many miles on it?
Old 23 Feb 2013, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Absolutely appreciate everyone's input.
The car when bought had 79K miles on it.

I asked the mechanic to explain to me how this air dam was supposed to help, he said well while you are going down the road it will scoop the air over the engine. I said but it happens while stopped at lights. Oh, I have it written down that it happens on the HW... Geez...

Anyways, they have agreed to drive it to see if they can get it to overheat. We're almost to a full week in several garages. All of them say it passes every single test. I think if they call back, I'm just going to replace the fan...

Still love the car.. Hate the cooling system 8^)
Old 24 Feb 2013, 03:13 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with you about changing the fan. Make sure they get the right one. An intermittent problem is hard to diagnose - like worn brushes. Keep the old motor and tell us how the brushes look. Inquiring minds want to know!
OurPTGT likes this.

Tags
2005, overheating, turbo