Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Compressor questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2013, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Compressor questions

What kind of things would I experience in my 2001 PT Cruiser if my rear hi-pressure switch was broken, glued, and jammed into my compressor?
Old 24 Feb 2013, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Compressor questions

Not sure which "high pressure" switch your talking about. There is a high pressure switch on the compressor itself and then there's the low pressure switch (recycling switch) that sits on the accumulator.

If the front high pressure switch on the compressor is broken, the main thing is that the A/C won't work and the compressor won't engage. The system is under great pressure and the High Pressure switch monitors the pressure, Too much and it will expel some R134a into the atmosphere to stop the pressure from building up inside the compressor. You see this as steam coming from the engine usually at a stop light. Too low because of a leak, it won't let the compressor turn on.

The rear Low pressure switch, if broken, the compressor won't "recycle". The compressor keeps going (never shuts off) and certain parts freeze up stopping the flow of cold air into the cabin. Had to replace two of them myself.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much for your response. Here is exactly what the mechanic found and did:

"Found no R134A (refrigerant) in system and rear hi-pressure switch broken. Removed compressor assembly to change hi-pressure switch, evacuated, leak check and fully charged system. After system was charged pressures were read and show that the compressor has been damaged internally by previous system. A/C is operating but it may on occasion cause air to get warm but then corrects itself and operates fine. Future is the compressor will require replacement.; Parts installed: Hi pressure cut out switch; 134 Refrigerant per ounce; serpentine belt"

I have since found a Youtube video of how to change a serpentine belt which specifically names the A/C system and valves as having to be unplugged. My problem is the previous mechanic is stating he never touched my compressor when installing "Water pump, Timing Belt, Power Steering & AC Belt, Alt. Belt, Antifreeze". Any further help you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some members have found that the A/C system doesn't have to be removed (only lines have to be pulled aside) when changing the timing belt and water pump.

The U-tube video is wrong. The serpentine belt can be replaced without "unplugging" ??? the A/C and valves (what valves) ?

The whole things sounds OK to me. The compressor, if never changed since 2001, has lasted a good log time. They don't last forever.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. Are you trying to blame something on one of the mechanics? It sounds like the system is working "part time" and the compressor will have to be changed to get it "up to speed".
Old 24 Feb 2013, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unfortunately this is not a wear and tear matter.

What happened was my current mechanic found that the valve spoken of above had been broken and then someone put glue on it and jammed it back up into the compressor. In doing so they broke the compressor internally. In the future I will need to get a new compressor as it's only functioning as stated.

Yes, I am involved in a law suit against the previous mechanic who did the above as well as 3 times had the car for A/C complaints but never fixed it and never said anything about this valve. I believe he broke it and caused this failure.

Can I send the Youtube link here? I'll try now: Water Pump & Timing Belt Repair / Replacement 2.4 Liter PT Cruiser Part 1 - YouTube It's at :30 to 1:02 of the video that I noticed.

Thanks for your help!
Old 24 Feb 2013, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Seen the video before. IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT TAKING APART THE A/C, no matter what the person in the video says. It DOES make it easier to do the timing belt job with the A/C lines out of the way but it's not needed.

Good luck with your law suit. Maybe you'll get a new compressor out of it and you'll be good to go. I take it, the mechanic isn't admitting any wrong doing so small claims court is where you should be heading. You'll need the second mechanic to testify or maybe you can get away with a notarized letter stating what he found but just playing devil's advocate, how do you prove you weren't the one who messed around with the pressure switch and tried to glue it back on?
Old 24 Feb 2013, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. This mechanic made a remark that he had to take the entire engine and everything out to do the work.

In addition to the paperwork from my mechanic I have the original 3 receipts where the first mechanic did work on or around the A/C. I also have the complaints of what was not working and the fact that it was not resolved.

I also keep a log of all work done on my car (I am the original owner. They rolled it off the show room floor for me with 8 miles on it). I have that log both in original receipts as well as a tidy excel spreadsheet file which shows from the first mechanic to my current one nothing has been done on the car with the A/C system or belts.

I am going through small claims court where I don't have to prove beyond a reasoanble doubt but a poponderance of the evidence which I believe I have. He has hired an attorney who is looking to move the case to civil court. I have to wait and see what the judge decides to do.

In the same way that I can't prove that I didn't cause this damage he can't prove that he didn't do it, either. It's worth the try in court because all told it's costing about $1,400. In my state I could be awarded triple damages if it's discovered the damage was known and deceptive.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK. As I said. Good luck to you. Lots of good and bad/untrustworthy mechanics out there.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecruiser View Post
Thanks. This mechanic made a remark that he had to take the entire engine and everything out to do the work.
That statement alone is enough to not trust that mechanic.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles