Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle, check engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Rough idle, check engine light

I went to start my 05 base model cruiser up today and got a really rough idle. Thought maybe if I let it run it'll smooth itself out, it does is from time to time. When I went to pull outta the drive way, the check engine lit came on. Tried the key dance, but nothing showed..so I may not be doing it right.

Eh spark plugs and wires are fairly new....me and old man have cleaned the IAC out once before, but its been awhile. Every now and again the oil send pressure light comes on, but after turning the car off it turns itself off...

So any thoughts?
Old 24 Feb 2013, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle, check engine light

Oh yeah, the car has 85k on it, and gets regular oil changes with 5w30 and all fluids are checked every time it's serviced.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try the key dance again. It helps us help you.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Error code P0301.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a miss from cylinder #1. The cylinder to the left as your looking at the engine. Could be a bad spark plug wire or spark plug or a small leak from the seam of the upper manifold or where the manifold comes together with the lower part.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

K. Will try a new plug to start with, and see how it goes from there. Will post later to confirm or deny problem solved.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your going to the trouble of changing a plug, take the old #1 plug AND #1 wire and move it to another position. Then when it's all back together, try the key dance again. If the number moves to P030# (# indicates where you moved the plug and wire to) then you know the problem was the wire or plug. If the key dance says P0301 again, you might have an internal problem or like I said first, a small vacuum leak around cylinder #1.

Old 24 Feb 2013, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We had already left when you posted last crewzin.

We changed the plug and cleared the code. We took it for a short test drive and nothing came up as far as a check engine light or other warning. I think we took care of it. Thanks for the help though!!!!
Old 24 Feb 2013, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Good luck and hope that's the end of it.

Old 24 Feb 2013, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just took it for another , longer, run. It's smooth, and still no warning lights. Think we got it.

The plug was pretty badly worn in the time since it was installed, so it was most likely the culprit.

I appreciate all the info u and other posters have given me on all the ins ands of this car. Feeling like I really know what I'm doing when it comes to figuring out problems that arise with this quirky little car.