PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Trans Gasket Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2013, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing Trans Gasket Today

Hello Everyone!,
Im new to the forum and apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am replacing my trans pan gasket on my 2001 PT Cruiser (Automatic). I have an idea on how to do it and I do have experience with working on cars.

So my question is, Is there anything special that needs to be done in this process? What are the torque specs on the trans pan gasket bolts? Should I use gasket sealer? I also have the trans filter, is there anything special needed to do that as well?

I have read multiple ways of changing and adding fluid to the trans. Some sites say to add it directly to the pan, others say tat I can add it to the trans dip stick.

Anyway I am doing this in a little while and just wanted some reassurance from my fellow PT owners

Any response would be great and I will greatly appreciate the help. Thanks for your time guys!!

again I apologize if this is in the wrong spot!
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Trans Gasket Today

Trans pan is 165 in-lbs. Can't see adding the ATF+4 directly to the pan as it would be extremely hard to put the pan back on. If the kit comes with a new gasket, should be no need for gasket sealer put some people do use both.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Trans pan is 165 in-lbs. Can't see adding the ATF+4 directly to the pan as it would be extremely hard to put the pan back on. If the kit comes with a new gasket, should be no need for gasket sealer put some people do use both.

Thank you very much for the quick response! so to do this gasket change, I'm gonna drain the fluid, then take the pan off, then change the trans filter. Is there any cleaning required when everything is taken off? I read that people blow air into the diff to get the old seeping fluid out. Then i will bolt the pan back up with the new gasket and torque it down.

Does that sound about right? I did a gasket like this back when my brother had a honda del sol for him. I think that car is what made me crazy about working on cars. I'm like the only girl in my area who works on cars lol! its funny when im at a car show and a guy asks what shop did all my body work and I tell them I do it myself
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can clean it (with compressed air) but don't get ANYTHING into the exposed area. There's hundreds of tiny areas that a piece of lint or dirt will clog up. Use ONLY ATF+4 trans fluid. You should only drop about 4 to 5 quarts doing it that way so try and measure what you took out. Don't overfill it.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
You can clean it (with compressed air) but don't get ANYTHING into the exposed area. There's hundreds of tiny areas that a piece of lint or dirt will clog up. Use ONLY ATF+4 trans fluid. You should only drop about 4 to 5 quarts doing it that way so try and measure what you took out. Don't overfill it.
Thank you for the info! By the way awsome NY times article!
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_JennaM View Post
Thank you for the info! By the way awsome NY times article!
Don't know how they got my name, just called me up one day and wanted to do an article. Sent a photographer to the house and he took abut 100 shots. they used one in that article and one for the printed version in the newspaper.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now is the time to install this for the next time to make it easier!

Derale Performance Universal Transmission Pan Drain Plug Kits 13010 - SummitRacing.com

You can a kit at most auto parts stores.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another idea if you do not have compressed air is a can of carburetor cleaner. Spray it from the highest point and work downward.

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Feb 2013 at 02:24 pm.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Don't know how they got my name, just called me up one day and wanted to do an article. Sent a photographer to the house and he took abut 100 shots. they used one in that article and one for the printed version in the newspaper.
That's pretty cool. I like the way your pt looks. I have some work done to mine too. Maybe i will upload pics. Anyway thank you everyone for the help and info!
Old 24 Feb 2013, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_JennaM View Post
That's pretty cool. I like the way your pt looks. I have some work done to mine too. Maybe i will upload pics. Anyway thank you everyone for the help and info!

So im doing the gasket and there is no drain plug! so do i drop the whole pan?