Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removing the Screen in the Power Steering tank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2013, 08:04 am
Young Cruiser

Default Removing the Screen in the Power Steering tank

Has anyone tried or had success in removing the screen in the bottom of the metal power steering tank? If so, how did you do it?

My low miliage '01 PT has the famous "power steering whine" going on, so I removed the tank last night and I've got it soaking in kerosene. My plan was to remove the screen from the tank and go with an in-line filter. People have talked about going this route, but thus far I can't see how I'd get that screen out. There is a secondary flange just inside the tank opening (just below where the cap screws on) that looks like it pretty much prevents access to it. However, there may be a trick to that someone has figured out.

Thanks...
Art
Old 26 Feb 2013, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Removing the Screen in the Power Steering tank

Why not just leave the screen and add a filter?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Feb 2013, 10:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Here is one way of getting it clean:

Power Steering Groan & Clogged Reservoir
Old 26 Feb 2013, 10:05 am
Young Cruiser

Quicksilverdon,

From what I understand, the filter gets clogged and starts to starve the power steering pump, which will cause premature failure. From what I've read, it's pretty hard to really "clean" the screen (although some have claimed success), so I wanted to install an in-line filter that I could replace on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to have both in there, and risk starving the PS pump even more.... especially since I'm not sure how much crud is already embedded in that screen.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 10:24 am
Young Cruiser

Ray,

Thanks for posting that link. Actually I already read that one in my research, and it was the basis for me to take the action I did. I "thought" the screen would be easier to see/access, and thus far I've not gotten much "crud" out of my tank, so I wonder if it's embedded in that screen and I just can't see it. I'd like to just "eliminate" that screen as a potential problem and just go with the in-line filter (something I can change on a regular basis).
Old 27 Feb 2013, 07:59 am
Young Cruiser

So last night I "attempted" to remove the screen. Needle nose pliers were not long enough (the opening was too small as well), so I went up through the large tube on the bottom with some heavy wire and got it to start ripping. Of course it started to come out in bits and pieces, so now I have a new problem. How do I make sure I've got it all (and I know I do not, I can see some still in there, been trying to get it with a screwdriver...) so there won't be little pieces of screen in the system causing blockage.

I did notice that the "lid" to the tank is pressed on and held in place by metal tabs; has anybody been successful in getting this apart (which would give me full access to the inside of the tank I think)?

Any ideas?

Last edited by a_bartle; 27 Feb 2013 at 08:15 am.