Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! Bent valve?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2013, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Help! Bent valve?

Let me preface this by saying that i am an idiot. While changing my water pump, oil, plugs, etc., i managed to suck the blue shop towels that i had stuffed in the intake with the plenum off. I forgot about them when i put it back together somehow they had already been sucked in when I put the plenum on, and I didn't notice it. there was a small pimg while trying to start it that first time, and of course it jumped time. I'm in the process of tearing it back down, and was wondering what kind of damage these heads are prone to, and if nothing's bent, what should i look for in this head?

'04 PT no turbo, manual transmission
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! Bent valve?

Valves will only bend when they collide with one another. Will not make contact with piston. pull the intake upper and lower and see if you can retrieve the shop towels. Put them back together like a puzzle to make sure you get it all out.maybe you only have one or two open a little. But maybe not bent.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I guess it's possible the rags wadded up in the lower intake half and didn't gi thru and screw up intake valves - take off lower intake and see ....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Found three of the rags wadded up at the intae runners, the other, in #3, i only found a small piece of wrapped around the valve, as iget the timing set back off, i'll spin that cam and see what i find, but theres an entire shop towel missing in cylinder #3. 've got a head set just in case, but damn i don't wanna pull it that far down.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hard to imagion a rag making it inot the cylender??
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

that's what i thought, but the damn thing is missing, i'll get back out there in an hour or two, and let you know what i find, any thoughts on the lifters? anyone? i did hear a ping sound a couple times when i tried to start it that time. It was a blue paper shop towel by the way.

Last edited by CruiserNewbie; 26 Feb 2013 at 11:35 am.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well a paper shop towell is diffrent than a red rag btu still i dont see how it could get in there
you are probaly ok on the valvues and lifters they are pretty tough
the towell may be pluging up something and not allowing any air in but i just cant see it going into a cylender
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

that's my feeling, but the damn thing wouldn't start, right after it happened, i thought the same thing, that a towel couldn't make it all the way down there, but when i put it back together, (i never did find the rest of the towel in #3) and tried to start it, it jumped immediatly again, i know my marks were right, and that stupid tensioner assembly was lined up as perfectly as i could tell, i have a new belt in case i stretched that one, and i'm about to pull the exhaust manifold of to look in there, i can't imagine a paper towel doing all this, but when i pulled it apart again, (third time, now) i'm finding bits of the towel on the valves again, in number three, Ive shined a flashlight down the plug hole, looking in through the valves, and can't see anything even with the piston all the way up, maybe it got caught up in the exhaust valve? i'll keep you posted.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

wouldnt it have to go through the injector??? to get inot the cylender???
Old 26 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

this is what i found when i pulled the intake the first time, #2 had the rag right there as well, i had to rotate the intake cam to get the towel out of all of them, but #3 was mysteriously empty except for a small scrap about half the size of a dollar bill, we searched inside the cylinder with a flashlight and a pick and didn't find anything, and figured whatever might be left inside there would probably burn up and go out the exhaust as ash. It didn't i guess, and it jumped time again. I dunno, I have the engine on a stand at the moment, with the head still on, i just don't wanna pull it if i don't have to. the runner in the intake is a smooth bore, with the injector actually mounted slghtly out of the bore pointed directly at the valves, cruiserdad1976, so the rags just slid right by the injectors then became soaked in gasoline.

2013-02-23_15-11-26_913.jpg