Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission, identify supply and return lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2013, 01:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Transmission, identify supply and return lines

I'd like to do a transmission "flush" as seen on this youtube video (I'm also planning on removing the pan and changing the filter as well, but this will get all the trans fluid out):

I looked under the car and saw where the transmission lines go into the radiator. However, does anyone know which one is the "supply" and which one is the "return"? According to the youtube video, I want to utilize the supply line in order to do this flush.

Thanks...
Art
Old 26 Feb 2013, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission, identify supply and return lines

i cant say i know but i can say it should be easy to find as long as the lines are easy to get to you have to take them both off anyweay and the supply line will for sure be pushing ATF the retuen should be sucking I didnt watch the video i was just assumeing you were going to take both off
Old 27 Feb 2013, 03:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would change the oil and filter. Clean out the pan and magnet [note its position]. Check for debris. Add 4 qts of atf+4. Remove the hose on the passenger side [return side from cooler] and drain into a bucket. This flushes the cooler. Then add fluid while doing it. Drain out a good gallon. About as good as it gets.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 03:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Regarding the video, he blew dirty oil back into his tranny, didn't clean the bottom of the pan, and didn't change the filter. Yet he's telling others how to do theirs. Honda people!
Old 27 Feb 2013, 04:36 pm
Young Cruiser

I know, not the right way to do things, but I do like the part about flushing out more of the fluid (more than just what the pan holds), so that is what I'm going to try and do. Change the filter, install new pan (one that has a drain plug) add some fluid then do this flush.

So when looking at the back side of the radiator, the hose on furthest to the right (passenger side) would be the one I'm looking for? If I do it as you say (not running the car, just add trans fluid while the hose is disconnected( will I notice the fluid go from dirty to clean?

Last edited by a_bartle; 27 Feb 2013 at 04:40 pm.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 11:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Note: After you have added the initial 4 qts. Then; After you have the passenger side hose disconnected at the transmission, and an extension hose connected to it [and sitting in a bucket], and your funnel, and your atf+4 ready to go, have a helper start the car. Pour in as much as comes out. Shut off engine. Reconnect hose, start car and check dipstick level. Run thru gears and recheck level. You are pumping the atf thru the tranny and the cooler.
Old 01 Mar 2013, 07:46 am
Young Cruiser

Ok, thanks... I'll give that a try.