Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Basic model stutters above 2000 rpm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2013, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Basic model stutters above 2000 rpm

Hi, name is Sophia, just joined this morning. I am the original owner of my car. It's just a 2005 basic model, manual transmission, about 70,000 miles on it. Last night the engine light came on and when I try to go above 2,000 rpm it stutters and bucks. I drove home slowly and stayed below the 2,000 rpm to keep it from stuttering. Then I realized I could, shift into 3rd and go a little faster if I just keep it below 2,000 rpm. The car does have a leak, not sure where it's coming from and the ac doesn't get cold. Right now I just need to deal with the bucking and stuttering so if anyone knows anything, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02 Mar 2013, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Basic model stutters above 2000 rpm

Sohpia,

It sounds like the computer put you into limp mode. Won't let you go fast but enough to get you home.

The fault code that you'll have since the engine light is on may be the clue as to why it's not running properly. Use the link below to pull any fault codes from the computer and let us know what you found.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 03 Mar 2013, 02:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Like Crewzin said, get the codes first. If the ac just recently stopped working, it could be a fan issue. Too early to tell.
Old 03 Mar 2013, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had a 2007 Jeep Compass that I took to the shop and they replaced a sensor. When I got it back it worked fine and then it started doing the same thing as you described. I took it back to the shop the next day and they said it went into limp mode (It is supposed to help protect the motor).
Turns out when the mechanic replaced the sensor, he didn't make the connection tight enough and the ECM thought the engine was misfiring. They reseated the connection, cleared the code and everything was all good.

I'd never heard of limp mode until then. It was quite scary when it started happening on the interstate. Thought something major was going on with the engine....
Old 03 Mar 2013, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im having the same problem.
I have a 2008 (not a turbo)

I was told it was the alternator by the experts at autozone :/

I took it in to Walmart to have the battery tested and its fine.
Then the Walmart guys tested the alternator and that came back as fine.

While testing the battery, he noticed that the battery cable was really lose.
So lose in fact that he just lifted it off the post.

They tightened that and the engine light turned off and we thought the problem was solved, later the same day while driving in street traffic, the engine light cam back on and then the jerking at 2000 rpm started all over again.
Old 04 Mar 2013, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Braveheart125,

any update on the jerking or stuttering when you reach 2000 rpm in the cruiser?

I am going to try the "retrieve fault codes" trick that was posted on another thread.
If that doesn't turn up anything, next step is taking it down to the shop.

thanks for any input or information
Old 05 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay the first time I had the problem, I was low on oil so I added oil and after driving it a while, the problem went away plus the engine light went off. My oil light never came on and the oil was about between low and full on the dip stick. I added a 1.5 quart of oil. The problem only happens when the engine light is on. This afternoon the engine light came on which brought the 2,000 rpm problem back. I pulled over as soon as I could, turned the car off and sat for a minute. I started it back up and the 2,000 rpm problem went away, however, the engine light stayed on. After I let the car sit for a while, I check the oil and it was at the max level. Later, after driving around a bit the engine light went off and I wasn't having the 2,000 rpm problem. While I had the hood up, I did notice there is a lot of corrosion on the negative battery terminal that is also part way down the cables. Could this have something to do with it? I can't get the error codes right now since the engine light is off...
Old 06 Mar 2013, 12:30 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart125 View Post
While I had the hood up, I did notice there is a lot of corrosion on the negative battery terminal that is also part way down the cables. Could this have something to do with it? I can't get the error codes right now since the engine light is off...
Corrosion on the battery cables can cause all kinds of problems and getting that fixed should be the first thing you do. The error codes should still be in the computers memory even though the light is off, try the "key dance" and see if something doesn't come up before you disconnect the battery cables just for future reference.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got the fault code P0304 this morning. I have not had a chance to change the battery cables, have to wait til payday. This morning the engine light came back on and it did the stuttering with the low rpms. I turned the car off and back on and the stuttering went away but the engine light is still on.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Sophia, looking at the list of error codes in the sticky at the top of this forum you have a misfire in cylinder #4. That's the one on the right side of the motor closest to the air cleaner. According to the manual the spark plugs should be changed every 30,000 miles and the plug wires every 60,000 so they would be prime suspects if you haven't changed them recently. The #4 spark plug is pretty easy to get to, it might be worth while to just change that one plug and wire now and the rest when you have the time. If you're lucky, that just might cure the P0304 code.

You don't necessarily have to replace the battery cable if the corrosion hasn't gotten down into the wire. Just clean off the corrosion with some baking soda and water and polish up the clamp and battery post. Those cheap little battery brushes from the auto supply work okay for that.

We have an 05 also and I had lots of trouble with corrosion on the negative cable too, I would clean it up and then in just a week or two it would be back again. It turned out the battery had a tiny hole in the case and was leaking acid right under the cable clamp.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.