Advertisements
03 Pt Cruiser A/C Air Conditioning Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2013, 02:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Unhappy 03 Pt Cruiser A/C Air Conditioning Problems

Hello everyone!
Hope you are doing well

I posted a while back ago about how to replace the AC Compressor here: A/C Compressor replacement
But before making the jump, and buy the AC Compressor, I thought that a little bit more research wouldn't kill me...

I found some people talking about having some issues with their AC when idling, but no one is talking about a vapor smoke escape like I had before (I explained it in the first thread)
Basically, after having a small frontal collision with an SUV, his rear bumper hit my front grill, which broke my Radiator. I took it to a Hyundai dealership to fix it (I was working in there at that time, and I had great discounts) So, for $95.00 (OTD) they replaced my Radiator (They said it looked like the only problem)
However, few weeks later (I wasn't working in there anymore) I started having AC issues.
When I was idling, I heard a "PSHHHHHTT" noise (Like vapor escape), a white smoke escaped under the hood, and RPMs dropped by 100 or 200rpms... Cold stopped at the same time. When I drove again, AC worked back fine.
Little by little, the AC was giving less cold... until, no cold at all. (And of course, no more "vapor" noise... or RPMS drops)

Some people are talking about the Condenser Fan that had to be replaced, like here: http://www.hugginsnet.com/ptcruiser/...0Questions.pdf [ #12 of 172 ]
That PDF was posted here: PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY
I originally found that thread here: PT Cruiser Air Conditioning Questions/Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

I also have a bad Oil leak (It was originally leaking from the Valve cover gasket, which I replaced the sealing, and now no more leaking from there... But it's leaking from the bottom now... I don't know if it's in the engine block, where there is the CrankShaft, or if it's the Oil Pan sealing... but that's another discussion...), so if I turn the Fans (of the AC) there is regular air blowing out (Or HOT if I put it in HOT) but mixed with a strong Oil smell!

So, I don't know if I should replace that Condenser Fan, and then recharge the AC.
I called Tire Kingdom, and they said $500 to replace the Fan... And Chrysler told me few days ago, that I'm looking at minimum $1,200 to fix the Oil leak, because they have to lift the engine to work on it...
I really cannot afford that... and that car is what's letting me have a job.

So, I found some people explaining the replacement of that FAN.
I found the Repair Manual in the STICKY, so I'm taking a look at it: Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual

I'm thinking that after the collision, the Condenser Fan was also a little bit damaged (But the Engine is always at a regular temperature, never overheats) so that's what making the AC Compressor sensor to push more refrigerant coolant, so when the pressure goes over 400psi (As they mention it) some of the Refrigerant escapes from a small leak area (or between two refrigerant pipes... Maybe a weakness was caused by the collision) and that what makes the AC Compressor to stop for safety, and that what causes the COLD to stop (But why does the engine revs drops?) so, little by little all the refrigerant was gone, and now I have no more refrigerant. But if I recharge it, I will most likely have the same issues. So, That's why I'm thinking about the Condenser Fan. But I don't get exactly why the Condenser Fan would be affecting my AC Compressor, if the Engine doesn't overheat... I thought maybe I would see a higher engine temperature than normal...

So, my questions are:

- How can I find the pressure of the refrigerant that people are talking about in forums ( Example: The link I gave earlier http://www.hugginsnet.com/ptcruiser/...0Questions.pdf [ #12 of 172 ]) ? (So to diagnose if I have the same issue or not)
- What are your taught about the issue? Am I on the right direction?

I know it's a very long post... Sorry for posting so much.
Thank you a lot for all your help! and for reading!

www.SuperNasro.fr.st >> Design [Go to]

Old 04 Mar 2013, 12:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Pt Cruiser A/C Air Conditioning Problems

I'm not an ac expert, but I can tell you a little about Chrysler fans. Yours is a two speed fan which is controlled by the engine temperature and by the ac pressure. They act independent of eachother and in combination with eachother. Each has its own sensor which can tell the fan to run on low speed or switch to high speed. Therefore it is important to know if both fan speeds are working. Somewhere in this forum I saw a simple way to test the fan speeds by unplugging the connection by the radiator and hot wiring the fan motor. This will tell you more.
Old 04 Mar 2013, 04:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi,
OKay... So I'll try to find that thread... if you know where is it, could you please post the link?

When you say "two fan speeds"... is it like ONE Fan with like two gears? (Two RPMS) or, TWO separate Fans?
Thank you for your reply

Old 04 Mar 2013, 05:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
PT Cruiser: overheating..when i turn on the AC either..Whats - JustAnswer
08 Air Conditioner Issue
Old 04 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Two speeds. One fan. In most cases the high speed goes out. The high speed runs when the AC is on and you should pretty easily be able to hear it.
Old 04 Jun 2013, 03:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi!
Thank you for the links! I took a look at them, and I will definitely follow those steps to do some diagnostic.

After I posted last time, I purchased an AC refrigerant refill ($45 from wallmart)
Followed the indications, and refilled my AC refrigerant

Results:
No more Oil smell (I had a strong oil smell when I had no refrigerant. It was when I used the fans on cold, or heat)
The AC was blowing cold!
However... When I stop at a long red light (you know... at rush hours, in a big intersection) after one minute or two, I hear a "PSSSHHHT" noise under the hood, a white smoke escapes. The Cold stops (only regular air is blown during that smoke escape) the engine rpms drops by 200 rpms.
So, I have to be careful, and stop the AC when I stop for more than a minute. But if I'm driving... no issues at all.

I just wanted to post the results,
Next, I'll do some diagnostic on that fan.
If you have any suggestion or taught about the issue... please share

Have a nice day!

Tags
ac compressor, cooling, fan, refrigerant