Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 PT GT 5spd: Wont Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fortknox82 Send a message via Yahoo to fortknox82 Send a message via Skype™ to fortknox82
Default 03 PT GT 5spd: Wont Start

So I have an issue here im trying to track down. I think its the ECM but wanted to get some other opinions.

Timing belt is not broken, car cranks but wont start, has good fuel pressure, but spark is the issue.

When cranking it is intermittent or weak.

You would think cam or crank sensor but Im not going that direction because I have no trouble codes stored at all except for that stupid SKIM key one.

Its kind of wierd how it all happened at once too. Drove to work and when I pulled into my spot noticed a lot of smoke coming from under the hood. Couldnt track it down and decided to let it cool off and check it later. Came back out to start it and pull it into the shop and it wont start. Just cranks. Pushed it inside. Found out the smoke was steam from a split in the upper radiator hose. And then checked spark and only half the coil was firing. Coincidently I just got in the mail new MSD Coil, Wires, and Iridium plugs. So I tossed them all in and the car is still not starting. Checked for spark again and its wierd because at first you get a few good strong sparks but then it dies out and sometimes there will be no spark or it is a weak spark.

Any ideas? And once again its a 2003 PT GT 5spd.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that the speedometer has not worked since I got the car. VSS Perf Error. Changed it and no difference. Got into it with a computer and it says that the computer is for an automatic transmission.
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T
Old 05 Mar 2013, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 PT GT 5spd: Wont Start

I'd stick with the spark issue.

What does a Camshaft/Crankshaft Position Sensor do?

The Camshaft sensor determines which cylinder is firing to establish injector synchronization and coil firing sequence in DIS systems. Crankshaft sensors set ignition timing, supply the RPM signal, and determine engine speed.

First, try a jump start, even though it's cranking, might not be enough to get things going.

Second, the Camshaft sensor (I know, no code) but it's the piece that makes the coil fire.

Also might want to hook it up to a scanner to get a better reading of what's going on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Mar 2013, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree (as usual) with Crewzin - just want to add that you shoudl get a Mopar sensor - many people have reported buying an aftermarket sensor is a bad choice - doesn't work or doesn't last as long as a genuine part.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fortknox82 Send a message via Yahoo to fortknox82 Send a message via Skype™ to fortknox82

Yeah I dont know why but my scanner doesnt really want to hook up with the car. It was a bitch just to get it to read out the codes. Its one of them Autosnap models which is not cheap and works great on my Mercedes at work.

For some reason it wont give me the real time data so I could look and see what signals are being read.

I will charge the battery though as that is a good point. It does look kind of old and small for the car.
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T
Old 08 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I charged the battery, put in the correct ecm for a manual transmission, and put in a new cam sensor - car still wont start - ARGHHHH!!!

Im going to check compression tomorrow even though I know the belt isnt broken but maybe it jumped time and that is messing with the spark??

I know I dont want to replace the crank sensor unless im damn sure since that is $105!

Or maybe im just so unlucky that my stock coil went bad and the new MSD coil is bad too??? Any way to test that?
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T
Old 14 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm have the same problem, it started yesterday. Please tell me what you did??
Old 14 Oct 2014, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check for spark...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2014, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking for a short at the Crank Sensor Connector. Check your wires at the plug connector to the crank sensor, they are to close to the exhaust the heat cracks the insulation off and create a short and no spark gets distributed if it happens.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Oct 2014 at 08:15 am.