PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help a Pregnant Girl Out! *please*

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2013, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Help a Pregnant Girl Out! *please*

Hi, so I am 7 months pregnant and have been needing a car badly. After lots of research I felt like the PT was a good choice for my family with what we can afford (I budgeted $6500). Anyways. I found a 2007 PT Cruiser with 77,500 miles on it. It had a clean carfax report and only 2 previous owners. I looked under the hood and everyting looked good (transmission fluid was full and reddish, etc) and when I test drove it there didn't seem to be any problems with the alignment, brakes, etc and were no weird noises coming from the car. So all good right?
Well before I spend $6200 on this thing I have a few questions.

1) I've heard the timing belt needs to be replaced at 90K, which shouldn't be a problem if it can really last that long. I don't have another $1000 I can spend right now. Should the timing belt last to 90K and give me time to save up for that?
2) When test driving it the only thing I noticed is that you have to push a little farther down on the gas pedal than you'd think you'd have to to get up to speed. Just a little bit, but I noticed it. I read online that people complain about the 4 cyl enigine being "underpowered". Is that what that was or could it indicate a future problem? It didn't shake, no check engine light, etc/
3) What is the life expectancy of the PT? If well maintained could it last us a few years?

Anyone who can answer these would be a great help! I'm nervous spending so much money and am not the gambling type! lol. Thanks so much for any and help!
Old 07 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help a Pregnant Girl Out! *please*

First of all clean fax just means far as they know. So don't base a decision on one of those alone. Given the year and model the belt usually gets closer or beyond 100k never a guarantee on those. Good miles. Gas pedal I don't personally know anything about any problems. They do set different than your used to. Gas mileage is not great. You should get the bushings and motor mounts checked to see if you are good to go there. Independent shop from were your buying. Check kbb for the value to compaire. Also turn the key to on, without starting to see if all the proper lights come on. Especially the check engine. Make sure all the little buttons work. Don't want to get home and find something doesn't work. Hope this is some help.
Some on here with good maintenance have over 250k. Others have been given up for dead with under a 100k. All in how you care for a vehicle.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 07 Mar 2013 at 04:24 pm.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you came here BEFORE you bought. Most buy used and ask questions after they have problems.

As Busted said, CARFAX only knows what's been reported to them. Thousands of shops don't report their work to anyone except who's paying the bill. There could be a lot of reasons who there were two owners but it's a possible sign one or both of them didn't like what was going on.

Again, as Busted said, the recommended timing belt change is 100,000 and a lot of us are beyond that and plan to keep the PT for a long time.

If you can, have an interdependent mechanic look over the car or at least some you know that knows about cars. Take a good long test drive. It may be that it only needs a tune up. N matter what you read. A well tuned and running N/A PT can keep up with the best of them, at least anything/any kind of driving in the real world and cruiser way beyond the national speed limit without a problem.

One good thing to do is let the car sit at idle for 20 minutes with the A/C on full. Keep an eye on the hot/cold dial. It shouldn't go above the half way mark, no matter what anyone says and be able to sit there all day long without overheating.

Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great thanks. I turned the key without starting it and all lights worked. no check engine light. I had it on idle for about 15 minutes and didn't notice any problems. I did notice that the seat sat low, which kind of sucks for me because I'm short, but I could still see to drive. I should have mentioned that I told them to add a limited 3 month warranty onto the cost of the car (Was originally $5995, after warranty it was $6200) that covers engine (not timing belt) and transmission. It's a limited power train warranty.

I read reviews online and the 2 biggest complaints I've seen are gas mileage and lack of power, but neither of those things bother me at all. I just want something safe and reliable. My little ford ranger only get 18 mpg so the PT will be an improvement over that for sure lol. It had great safety reviews and a 4 star crash test rating.

The car salesman was pushy but friendly and helpful. He said he'll air up the tires, change the oil, and put a new battery in it before we drive off the lot.

Question:: Other than the timing belt what other BIG maintenance am I looking at (Up to 100K). I figure I'll get the brake pads checked around 85K and maybe the shocks too. Other than that, do I just need to keep the oil changed?
Old 07 Mar 2013, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The front suspension seems to give problems to some owners. I went the full 100K before replacing some of the bushings because of wear. Other had front wheel bearing problems, I still have the original.

You said you let it idle for 15 minutes. Pls do it again with the A/C on. That puts a strain on the engine and if anything is wrong it will show up. Watch the temperature gauge. No higher than half way.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Before I bought my 2005 vert I made the dealer replace the timing belt water pump etc..and give me the parts (I claimed that is was for when I sold it later I'd have proof it was done). They put in a new rad fan (i did the idle test, no overheating but the fan never turned on) I also made them top off the refrigerant as well as repaint the whole one side of my car. They were asking 5999 for the car, I got it with all above repairs done for only 5000 even incld taxes.

Anyway just remember that they have the resources to get at least the timing belt don't for no additional cost. The parts aren't expensive, and they have laborers who they prob pay less than ud pay per hour to do it.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 08 Mar 2013, 01:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

One more question. I'm short and the seats sit pretty low. Is there any way to raise them??

Also in response, the dealership is a no haggle dealer and won't negotiate prices. Lots of used car dealerships in my area are doing this now. I guess because more people are buying used and they can get away with it because of high demand.
Old 08 Mar 2013, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure were your from but I'm sure they will haggle if it's not a buy here pay here type thing. If they think you might go somewhere else and buy they will offer a better deal. Besides how far are you willing to drive to get a better deal. There is a highway and another dealer down the road.JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Mar 2013, 09:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

To adjust your hight there is a button on the outside of your seat that electricaly raises the seat. So that shouldn't be a problem.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 08 Mar 2013, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teska View Post
To adjust your hight there is a button on the outside of your seat that electricaly raises the seat. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Your right EXCEPT the power seat height adjustment only came on (I believe) the LIMITED EDITION. I would hope Princess would have seen the electrical switch on the side of the drivers seat (if there was one) before asking that question.