Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise control malfunctioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2013, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruise control malfunctioning

I have a 2005 Turbo Ltd edition, the cruise control started shutting off by itself last year, but only if I had tapped the breaks or was stopped, slowing, etc. Gradually, it would shut off immediately after I turned it on. Then, come winter, it started working fine. Now, in the last couple weeks, it has been doing the same thing it did last year. I don't know if it is related to the weather or the temperature? Nothing else is malfunctioning on the car , all the lights work. If this was a fuse, would it work intermittently like it has been? I did have a problem with the computer last year and had it replaced, it didn't have an effect on the cruise control. Any suggestions?
Old 08 Mar 2013, 08:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cruise control malfunctioning

The cruise control is old school in the Cruisers and use a vacuum actuator with its own vacuum reservoir. I would start looking for a vacuum leak and work from there. The vacuum is what holds the throttle open. If there is a leak it would set but wouldn't hold it.
Old 08 Mar 2013, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you talking about the cruise is turning the system off or disengage?.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Mar 2013, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is turning it off completely. So far, it has never shut off on it's own while it was on CC. I will press the button to turn it on, and usually, the "cruise" will show up on my dash for a second or 2 and then it will shut off. When it is "working ok", I can turn it on and set it and it works fine, until I use my breaks and deactivate it, then it usually shuts off completely. It cannot be turned on again until the engine is shut off and restarted.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
The cruise control is old school in the Cruisers and use a vacuum actuator with its own vacuum reservoir. I would start looking for a vacuum leak and work from there. The vacuum is what holds the throttle open. If there is a leak it would set but wouldn't hold it.
Is this a problem that would affect a smog check?
Old 14 Mar 2013, 07:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Depends where the vacuum leak would be but I doubt this is your problem. After reading your last post it sounds like it might be a electrical issue somewhere.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Depends where the vacuum leak would be but I doubt this is your problem. After reading your last post it sounds like it might be a electrical issue somewhere.
Are there any other issues I should look for that an electrical issue affecting the cc would also cause? I did have rat damage to wiring in my head lights a few years ago. I have had a couple mechanics look over some of the wiring last year and they didn't see any exposed wires, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was caused by a damn rat. I just want as much info as possible before I take it to a mechanic. Thanks