Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Terrible gas mileage

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Terrible gas mileage

Thanks for all the great feedback! Because it had gotten better gas mileage and now crummy....well.....it makes me think there might be an issue. So I am going to try all suggestions and then will post the outcome. PAM in Tx
Old 10 Mar 2013, 04:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin, you got it.

PAM; On a level highway you should be able to reach 65 mph at 1/4 throttle. Then back off throttle to maintain 65 [around 1/8 throttle]. Look at the tach. It should read 2500 rpm. Push gas pedal back to 1/4 throttle for two seconds. The tach should move up only slightly. This will tell you that the transmission is in 4th gear and that the lock-up is working. A good thing.

Your statement about getting to 65 without full throttle? WOW
Old 10 Mar 2013, 09:16 am
Young Cruiser

For whatever it's worth, I have a 2003 GT, similar bells & whistles, automatic. I get 18-20 driving around town, 22-24 on the Interstate, driving mostly 70-75, depending on the speed limit. I agree with the 2500 tach reading at 65.

Of course that all goes out the window when someone sees the "TURBO" on the back and wants to race. I've had it above 100 a couple of times, still accelerating going up a hill. But I only did that when it was new...

My car history prior to the Cruiser is a '66 Mustang 289 V8 (which I still have), a '73 Torino Super Sport with 351 Cleveland, an '83 T-Bird with 5.0 V8, and an '89 Civic hatchback. None of these would pin me to the seat like the PT does, although I'm working on the Mustang. Its 2.80 rear end is getting changed soon.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have to stop reading threads about turbos. Makes me feel the need for one.
DreamKruzer likes this.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Terrible gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
PCV valve maybe. If that's clogged it will have an effect on mileage. Dirty air intake including the air filter and the throttle body. Low air pressure in the tires. A little more(2-4 lbs) will help with rolling resistance. and in-town (stop & go) driving will kill it. The PT is shaped like a brick (aerodynamics) so getting up to speed and staying there helps tremendously especially if you can keep it around 55-60 mph.
Good news to know hello fellas .. I have a 03 gt. I just added the diablo intune which put this car on roids lol. I also have the mopar dual exhaust system, drop in the box intake, after market wires and notice the when I press the pedal full open it will hesitate a bit but then soot off. But its seem as if the turbo taken a double breath than open up..
Could this be alone the lines?
I checked for codes with the intune there was none..
Old 17 Mar 2013, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Your better off taking your "problem" if there is one, over to the Turbo side of the forum. I don't have one but personally always thought there was something called a "Turbo Lag" so that hesitation could be normal unlike a supercharger where it's instant throttle response. Could be wrong, haven't messed with Turbo's for a long time. Hopefully one of the guys with their knowledge of the PT's Turbo will come along and help you out.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Tags
2004, 93 octane, gas, mileage, turbo gt