PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Terrible gas mileage

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2013, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Terrible gas mileage

2004 Turbo High Performance w/fairly clean KN filter, 59k miles, using 93 octane. I have owned/loved this car for 6 months. I know that PTs don't historically get great mileage but this one is now slipping into the low teens. Has auto/slapstick but don't use manual option much. I switched this week to Mobil1. I will need to take to a mechanic, but wanted to start researching he top 5 issues it might could be. Maybe a simple fix I could take care of myself? All help is greatly appreciated. PAM in Texas
Old 08 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Terrible gas mileage

PCV valve maybe. If that's clogged it will have an effect on mileage. Dirty air intake including the air filter and the throttle body. Low air pressure in the tires. A little more(2-4 lbs) will help with rolling resistance. and in-town (stop & go) driving will kill it. The PT is shaped like a brick (aerodynamics) so getting up to speed and staying there helps tremendously especially if you can keep it around 55-60 mph.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Mar 2013 at 12:02 pm.
Old 08 Mar 2013, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Hopefully the PVC valve will be fairly easy to get to. If it was horribly clogged would the computer display a code? I think this might be some sort of high performance engine, but the few times I've tried to "pedal to the metal" I wasn't impressed and it seemed slightly hesitant. Could that be part of the problem?
Old 08 Mar 2013, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PCV valve is easy. You say you have the HO so you should have around 215-225hp which should impress you with your foot down. But them again, if your looking for better gas mileage, you don't want to do that too much. Might start from scratch with plugs and wires, cleaning of the intake and check for any vacuum leak in the downpipe.

Old 08 Mar 2013, 01:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check to see if there are any trouble codes. There can be something going on that is not bad enough to trip the engine warning light. Not being "impressed" is a subjective call. But you should be able to spin the tires deep into first gear. The PCV is a good place to start. A lot of owners treat it like an "extended life" item like spark plugs or even a lifetime part. It's not. It's a regular maintenence item like an oil and filter change. Change the PCV every year or two at the most. You can pull one or two spark plugs for a rough idea of what's going on with the engine for no cost but a few minutes of time. It's pretty common to see MPG less than 20, but if you're seeing less than 15, like you are saying, that's not right at all.
Old 09 Mar 2013, 05:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Do the chrysler keydance first. Take a highway ride, and check if the tach stays at 2500 rpm when going 65mph, and that it stays there with low to moderate throttle position.
Old 09 Mar 2013, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks that sounds like a good start. I apologize for not knowing this; but how do I monitor then throttle position? - PAM in Tx
Old 09 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before you start the car, push down on the throttle (gas) pedal. All way to the floor is full throttle, feel where half way up is and then all the way off (no gas).

What pt06 is saying, it shouldn't take anywhere near full throttle and maybe even a little less that half to reach 2500 rpm's or 65 mph and keep it there once the car is moving along the highway.

Hope I got that right pt06?
Old 09 Mar 2013, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again. Its a 2004, 59k, HO, Turbo Gt, auto slap. I bought it for the style and leather/other bells/whistles so the engine is way beyond what I will ever get full benefit of. But hopefully I can get it to the 2500 rpm without full throttle. PAM in Tx
Old 09 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can also get a scan tool, some parts stores have them for rent-
Monitor oxygen sensor correction (aka O2 sensor)
If there's air leaking in upstream (Manifold crack, exhaust studs broke) or O2 sensor's telling computer the wrong info computer will puke in fuel.

Low engine temperatures are very, very inefficient- With same tool ensure it warms up to around 200* F quickly.

And to echo what's already been said, I'm very surprised at how people drive, all while claiming they are mild with accelerator.
Pretend there's an air balloon under pedal, try to use brakes as little as possible, and make no sudden throttle movements.
You can shut car off at long lights, too

Tags
2004, 93 octane, gas, mileage, turbo gt