Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Accessory belt issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2013, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Accessory belt issue

For the past 2 years, ever since I had the timing belt job done, I've had issues with the accessory belt. It started with a faint chirping then got a lot worse; the mechanic who handled the timing belt job insisted the accessory belt tensioner had to be changed; a few months later, same issue, and on and on. The mechanic keeps putting a new belt, or so he says, but something's up and he's not telling me. Now I notice the belt is off (see pic below), it could pop out completely anytime it seems, which leads me to suspect one of the pulleys was not installed correctly and is out of alignment, causing the noise and the belt skipping teeth.

My questions are: am I on the right track? If so, which pulleys can be adjusted relative to the others? When the weather gets a little warmer, I will pull the passenger wheel and plastic cover to get access to the side of the engine and try to figure out which pully is off, but any preliminary info by you experts could help greatly. I consulted with 2 other mechanics, one was clearly not interested in working on this car, the other jumped a bit quickly to the conclusion that the tensioner had to be changed (it's been changed twice in the past 2 years).

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2128.jpg (88.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by PT123; 09 Mar 2013 at 04:49 pm.
Old 09 Mar 2013, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Accessory belt issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT123 View Post
For the past 2 years, ever since I had the timing belt job done, I've had issues with the accessory belt. It started with a faint chirping then got a lot worse; the mechanic who handled the timing belt job insisted the accessory belt tensioner had to be changed; a few months later, same issue, and on and on. The mechanic keeps putting a new belt, or so he says, but something's up and he's not telling me. Now I notice the belt is off (see pic below), it could pop out completely anytime it seems, which leads me to suspect one of the pulleys was not installed correctly and is out of alignment, causing the noise and the belt skipping teeth.

My questions are: am I on the right track? If so, which pulleys can be adjusted relative to the others? When the weather gets a little warmer, I will pull the passenger wheel and plastic cover to get access to the side of the engine and try to figure out which pully is off, but any preliminary info by you experts could help greatly. I consulted with 2 other mechanics, one was clearly not interested in working on this car, the other jumped a bit quickly to the conclusion that the tensioner had to be changed (it's been changed twice in the past 2 years).

Thanks!
Your problem is you haven't found a mechanic yet. Sorry that is so though. We just might have to train you. This is a definite alignment issue. Pulleys are not adjustable. So something is not mounted correctly a straight edge laid across the crank pulley should point out witch one is out of line. Then you can check the service manual for correct installation of this item.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2013, 03:34 am
Senior Cruiser

I would immediately fix that. It's ugly on the side of the highway.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
I would immediately fix that. It's ugly on the side of the highway.
Yeah, he has a good point. Not to mention the price of belts and tensioner they keep selling you!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2013, 02:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If it is not the tensioner, check the harmonic balancer pulley. The concentric pieces must be in perfect alignment. When the rubber between them starts to deteriorate, they will shift out of alignment. A chirping sound is the first indication of a failing harmonic balancer (aka vibration damper, crankshaft damper).
Old 12 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the useful input. As soon as the weather gets warmer I will have a closer look behind the passenger front wheel, using a straight edge to figure out which pulley is out of alignment relative to the others. In the meantime, I can only hope the belt won't jump off, if it happens I'll drop the car at the nearest garage and hope to find someone more competent than the mechanics who most likely caused this long standing issue when doing the TB service.

I looked online and there is a trick tool needed to pull the harmonic balancer out, maybe the mechanic damaged the pulley trying to wrestle it out without the correct Chrysler tool.

What's the belt code for the accessory belt? I will get my own belt from the auto parts store to make sure it's the correct length and design, I've completely run out of trust for the guys who worked on this car!
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I just tell the counter person what I want and make, model, and year. Also turbo or not and they hand it to me. But I'm sure someone here will have the number for you.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Mar 2013, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looking at the service manual, am I seeing right: the alterrnator is driven by its own belt? If this is the case, losing the accessory belt will only result in losing power steering (AC isn't functional anyway), which won't leave me stranded on the side of the highway?

Still a few weeks to go before its warm enough to look in there.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, the alternator has it's own belt. The serpentine belt runs around the air pump, tensioner and A/C unit.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 07:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

yep, you're reading it right. serpentine belt does just that, pw and ac.