PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mechanic dropped tools in intake, wrecked motor

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2013, 09:35 am
Young Cruiser

Default Mechanic dropped tools in intake, wrecked motor

Changed Motor mounts and new fan and plugs and wires and still rough idle?
3 weeks ownership and Murphy of "Murphy's Law must have owned it.

My idle was rough and would vibrate and shutter the car at traffic lights, especially Red Ones. LoL... I had the cooling fan changed for $408.00. The AC worked better but the idle was still Rough. I change mechanics. He said it was the plugs, wires, fuel system cleaning, and 2 motor mounts. After he did the work the idle was still rough. He felt bad so I only had to pay $225 out of a $375 bill, and do some electrical repair for his shop as barter. He did not test drive it.

I paid him and "test drove" it away relieved that I had my Cruiser back. Then the valves clanked together, it started spitting and sputtering. I managed to get it off the highway and called the "Master Mechanic". He met me and asked me if I could drive it about 1000 feet back to his shop.

I almost needed a diaper making my way through the 4 lane
traffic in the dark. People were yelling and screaming instead of assisting me. When I made it to his shop he gave me his opinion and said it would cost about $3800 bucks. The diaper definately helped.

I found a 3rd mechanic to evaluate my sick Cruiser. After a great deal of study he determined that I needed a "valve job." He said it would cost $2300 bucks. "So here I sit stranded trying my best to deny it." After a month of ownership I will get the Electric Blue Base PT Cruiser like new?

I will post the good news when I get it. For now.."I do believe I've had enough."
Old 10 Mar 2013, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mechanic dropped tools in intake, wrecked motor

Sadly I will have to say that you still need a mechanic. So far all you have come up with is idiots and thrives. For that price you should get timing belt, tensioners, water pump and replacement head. But what you probly need is a cam sensor.

Why the drop tools in the intake! You never explained that.
If they did you need to file a claim against that shop.
mityqwik likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2013, 10:22 am
Young Cruiser

I didn't want to fill the last page up. I towed the car away to another mechanic. This new mechanic pulled the head off my Cruiser. He found a one quarter inch combination wrench under # 1 cylinder valve, and a screwdriver bit under # 3 cylinder valve.

He was amazed. He took pictures and ask me to come and witness this. When I saw this blunder I remembered the first mechanics words. He boasted about being a Master Mechanic for 30 years. (Over and over)

I recalled him telling me that he dropped some tools into the body cavity under the hood, and if I found them to let him know. So I called him and said, "I found your tools." When I told him where, he demanded to see the head. He rushed down to the shop I was at and cause a big scene.

When he calm down he said he would pay for the repairs $2325.49. Then he asked me not to give him any bad reviews on Facebook or anywhere else. I have paid for the repair and now I am waiting on him.

By the way, my car is much faster now but it still idles rough. This mechanic thinks it is an internal mechanical flaw. I'll try adjusting mounts? AMEN

mityqwik and rob342 like this.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some brands of mounts have been known to vibrate more. An internal flaw would get worse at higher rpms. A timing belt off a tooth can also cause rough idle.
Try to keep it to one thread to avoid confusion in the future. Nice looking PT there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm
Young Cruiser

I posted again by mistake. The guy had the intake manifold off when his small wrench and driver bit fell into 2 different cylinders. As soon as I am able I will post the pictures the 2nd mechanic took. They make it very clear what bent my valves. I got a valve job and water pump, and tensioner, and timing belt. They sent the head out to a machine shop. I am going to try to check the adjusting of the mounts as last resort. But man this car ins fast now comparitably speaking. Bruno and Gweedo will make sure I get money from guy who wreck my engine.
But it still idles rough. Just saying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 2004.jpg (19.8 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Jollanza; 10 Mar 2013 at 11:30 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 03:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That's quite a story!

If someone is a braggart, to me it's a sure sign to stay away.

I'm sure, if someone else was paying for it, the engine was done right or close enough to right.
I'd guess the tools didn't actually end up IN the cylinder ...
If they did and pistons/rods survived it's be OMG!

It sounds like it's about time to live with the idle, instead of spending $$ to only have people throw parts at it.
Jollanza and boonie2 like this.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 04:41 pm
Young Cruiser

UPTOWNSPORT the tools were snagged under the valves. It was amazing. When the valves tried to seat they got bent.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 07:03 pm
Young Cruiser

BLOWN PT ENGINE.jpg I hope you can see this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLOWN PT ENGINE.jpg (86.5 KB, 206 views)
Old 11 Mar 2013, 12:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

That is amazing!
rob342 likes this.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 01:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

LOLZ ! It look like one of those horrific xrays of a guy with a roofing nail or railroad spike in his head when he shows up at the docs for a nagging head ache ( if i ever get a nagging head ache, I get divorced

THanks for sharing the pict, I needed a laugh