PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 PT Cruiser P0300 issue. Help!!!!!!!!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT Cruiser P0300 issue. Help!!!!!!!!

I have an 08 base model. B vin code. P0300 code came up at 63000 miles. Car never overheated. Regular oil changes. Just changed the torque struts. Replaced the coil, plugs, and wires. Code still there. Dealer says compression on the number one and two cylinders is low. Recommends valve replacement on the head????? Sounds like a lot for such low miles???? Dont know what to do. Called a local mechanic for a second opinion. His advice was to get out from under that car. Not what I had expected. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Another mechanic didnt want to do a vacuum check on my car. Said he is positive theres no leak, but to change the fuel pump? Oh yeah, the idle is rough during stop, but the engine runs great during driving conditions and the lights also flicker when the engine is at rough idle. The check engine light blinks at stop lights and stays lit while driving. Help please!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 01:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Cruiser P0300 issue. Help!!!!!!!!

I would find a garage that is familiar with PT's and other 2.4 dohc chrysler engines and have them do another compression test. Have them write down the results for each cylinder. Start there.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so now I need some more help. Does anyone know of a good, trustworthy, reliable, reasonable, pt cruiser mechanic in the So. Cal area? Long Beach or surrounding cities????
Old 11 Mar 2013, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonacm50 View Post
Ok so now I need some more help. Does anyone know of a good, trustworthy, reliable, reasonable, pt cruiser mechanic in the So. Cal area? Long Beach or surrounding cities????
There's no such thing. Well you might find a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonacm50 View Post
I have an 08 base model. B vin code. P0300 code came up at 63000 miles. Car never overheated. Regular oil changes. Just changed the torque struts. Replaced the coil, plugs, and wires. Code still there. Dealer says compression on the number one and two cylinders is low. Recommends valve replacement on the head????? Sounds like a lot for such low miles???? Dont know what to do. Called a local mechanic for a second opinion. His advice was to get out from under that car. Not what I had expected. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Another mechanic didnt want to do a vacuum check on my car. Said he is positive theres no leak, but to change the fuel pump? Oh yeah, the idle is rough during stop, but the engine runs great during driving conditions and the lights also flicker when the engine is at rough idle. The check engine light blinks at stop lights and stays lit while driving. Help please!!!!!!!!!
Assuming they are correct on the compression. I don't understand the so called fix. That would say to me head gasket not valves. Possibly leaking between to cylinders. So I'm thinking start from scratch. The p0300 is a random cylinder misfire. P0301 or 02 would be misfire on #1 & 2 cylinder. You didn't say anything about that. The blinking is it's missing at idle the staying on is the code in the computer. You also seem to be experiencing some electrical issues. I would do some stuff myself first.
First how old is the battery if you know. Cleaning the posts and the ground connections on the driver inner finder may help with the flicker. The low voltage could cause you some crazy problems. This will also clear the codes. Then you can see what comes back. A bottle of fuel injection cleaner can't hurt either. Then check all the hoses you can for cracks or looseness. Correct these as you go. Couldn't hurt. Let us know how you stand after you run it a bit after this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Mar 2013, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If up for a drive I know a guy who can diagnose it correctly in Lincoln CA.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Mar 2013, 03:16 am
Senior Cruiser

I would still redo the compression test first. Exactly what is 'low compression'? 180-190-210-205 is 'low' for #1 and #2 cyls, but is ok per chrysler. 90-90-210-205 would indicate a head gasket [see Busted's read]. An intake manifold/hose vacuum leak might fry valves over time. Lots of variables.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have no idea whats wrong with this car. Took it to a mechanic. He was pulling plugs with the car running and found the number two cylinder to be unresponsive at low rpm. Seemed to work ok at high rpm. Came home, ran a compression test and the #1=170, #2=150, #3=65, and #4=70. Confusing to me. I going to check my records, but I remember the dealership saying #1  were the ones with low compression. For now Im going to have the head redone. Just seems lime a lot of work for an 08 model with 63000 miles when this issue started. Worst mistake ofmy life buying this hunk of retro metal !!!

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Mar 2013 at 12:09 pm.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I take it you bought the car used. No car has that many problems if it's been taken care of and the confusing diagnosis makes it worse. Your No#3 post and pt06 is correct, you need someone that knows what they're doing and you can trust. Don't blame the car before knowing why it went bad and what the original owner(s) did to run it into the ground.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Those are some low numbers there. Being they are side by side. I would have to lean towards a blown head gasket between cylinders. most likely valves not involved. Of course I'm hoping I'm wrong. And with no history of heating, I'm justas ssurprised as you.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate your help and advice. Whats sad is how happy the wife was when I got her this car and now the complete lack of hope or interest in this car now. Hopefully doing the head will remedy this problem and restore some fresh love for her car. Maybe I can put some whitewalls or shiny hubcaps to jaz it up a bit for her when it's done.
Busted_PT likes this.