PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2013, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant problem

Hi all,

I have noticed over the past few weeks that I have been losing coolant, its got to the point now that I can see its coming out from the radiator cap, i've ordered a new cap.
However today I have been having trouble with the coolant being expelled from the expansion tank all over the floor, this then drops the level of coolant to very low in the thermostat housing, it doesn't do it when the car idles as I've had it running for 3 hours on the drive with no problems, however if i drive it for a mile or so the expansion tank gurgles like mad and expels the coolant ....

My question is , is the whole problem being caused by the radiator cap not sealing properly ? or is it something more serious ?

I've checked the oil and its nice and clear, the car runs fine other than this ....

I would appreciate your help on this guys

Thanks
Old 11 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant problem

i'm gonna guess that when the coolant started coming out the radiator cap, air was being sucked in. my 2002 was doing the same thing. when you get the new cap make sure you burp the system of all the air.

i let mine sit in my garage for 2 weeks before i had it towed to the dealer. pressure check showed it was leaking from either the thermostat housing or gasket. had them replace both along with thermostat and flushed the system and filled with the red hoat coolant.

$503 later and all is good. may seem like a lot of money but for piece of mind, well worth it.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant problem

I've just had a thought, I put some radweld in the system yesterday, I wonder if this has caused a blockage somewhere ?? totally forgot about putting it in !!