Advertisements
2001 PT - how to clean the ducts?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By raichean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2013, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT - how to clean the ducts?

Hey guys..

Hoping for some help and brand new to this forum. My GF has a 01 PT, and until fairly recently, trying to maintain it wasn't my responsibility. (if you know what I mean) 8)

For a LOOOOOOONG time it had a pinprick radiator hole that was spraying a mist of radiator fluid into the engine compartment. What is awful is my first ride in it, the smell nearly made me sick.. what is even worse, is that it has been there for so long, she doesn't even SMELL it anymore!

The hole is fixed, radiator replaced and several cans of "air duct cleaner" from the auto parts place flushed through the vents. It is MUCH better, but I can still smell it, and smell it on her if she drives the car for any length of time.

Any suggestions on how to clean it better?

I was thinking:
1. Engine steam cleaning?
2. Ozium cleaner spray (suggested by a knowledgeable friend)
3. Are there in cabin filters for the PT?

What am I missing? I am looking to seriously rehab this car, including all kinds of items fixed all over now that I can but want to start here.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 01:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT - how to clean the ducts?

run the blower on high with fresh air mode and spray some fabreeze where the cabin filter goes. might help

ozium is amazing stuff, but it only neutralizes the smell that is in the air. your AC coil is probably covered with dust, and old antifreeze.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cabin filter? I am tracking down the shop manual from another thread, but don't have it yet. That said, is there an in cabin filter? If so, I bet that thing REEKS.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 01:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

We don't have cabin filters. There is a place for one and many have added one. Its on my list of things to do. But you spray the Febreeze where the cabin filter would go.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just found that, in an awesome video on youtube. Looks like a good addition once everything else is cleaned up. I am thinking the engine steam clean, plus Ozium/Febreeze through the vents, and a deep interior steaming would resolve most or all of it.