Advertisements
Code P0303

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dadjmon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2013, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Code P0303

Hi, Its been a while since I've posted. My PT's been running great until recently. I'm getting a P0303 misfire in cylinder 3. The problem is it only happens sometimes. Normaly it runs great but somedays it feels like it is going to quit it misses so bad.

Here is what I know about it:
1) The plugs and wires were replaced about 15,000 miles ago. I think the shop used Napa Mileage Plus wires. I know they used Champion copper plus plugs
2) It only misses under certain weather conditions. It seems like on a falling barometer is when it acts up. Last weekend it was a beautiful sunny warm day (high pressure) and it ran perfectly all day, never missed once. Monday rain was moving in and the barometer was falling. It ran terrible and missed all day and threw the MIL on. Today was beautiful again and it ran perfectly again no miss.
3) it only misses at idle (red light or sitting in park ideling). As soon as you take it above idle it smooths out.
4) There has been no noticable drop in gas mileage.

I think if it was a plug or wire it would be more consistant. I'm thinking possible MAP sensor or TPS. Any suggestions?
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.

Last edited by dadjmon; 12 Mar 2013 at 06:06 pm.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Code P0303

Those things can't cause a miss. Try moving the wire or plug to another cylinder to see if problem moves. If so you will witch is the problem. A compression test could rule out a weak cylinder. All that good change the coil.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2013, 03:47 am
Senior Cruiser

I had a bad experience with NAPA plug wires. The metal 'clips' that go over the spark plugs were so tight they wouldn't snap onto the ngk plugs! The ngk plugs had a .010 fatter end on them, too. The wires lasted less than a year, causing a terrible engine shake at a stop light. 'Belden' was written on the wire.

I,ve had two 2.4 dohc cam engines and the original Chrysler wires lasted 75000 miles on both, and they still ran smooth. Plugs: Champion RE16MC gapped at .040 for all non-turbo engines.

I would change the wires first.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
I had a bad experience with NAPA plug wires. The metal 'clips' that go over the spark plugs were so tight they wouldn't snap onto the ngk plugs! The ngk plugs had a .010 fatter end on them, too. The wires lasted less than a year, causing a terrible engine shake at a stop light. 'Belden' was written on the wire.

I,ve had two 2.4 dohc cam engines and the original Chrysler wires lasted 75000 miles on both, and they still ran smooth. Plugs: Champion RE16MC gapped at .040 for all non-turbo engines.

I would change the wires first.
Can't say on the Belden wires. But glad you said what I have thought on OEM wires. For crap wires they lasted a long time and still good. Not that I'm a OEM fanatic. I knew I couldn't have the only ones with high mileage one original wires.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Mar 2013, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A BIG thank you to all who made suggestion on how to fix my P0303 issue. I finally got a chance to dig into it last weekend and now she runs better than ever. I really didn't think it could be plugs or wires since they only had about 15,000 miles on them. The coil seemed like the logical culprit. I just happened to be passing by the repair shop that I usually use and the service manager was standing outside. I pulled in and told him of the issue and he agreed it was probably the coil. He told me to pull it in and he would check out the plugs and wires since they had installed them not that long ago ( again 15k ago). The tech pulled it apart and pulled the #3 plug. He said plug looks fine and then he ohm checked the wire and said it checked good and showed no sign of arcing. He got me a price on the coil $200.00 parts and labor. Now I had been pretty upset with this place on the past for charging very high prices and then using the cheapest crap parts they could find. I told him I had to wait until payday since I had only come in for info and didn't expect them to tear it all apart. He said no problem and put it all back together. Anyway, I went home and called the parts houses and the dealer. The dealer was cheapest at $71.00 for an oem coil. I called my son in law who has a neon (same coil) and he just happened to have a known good coil in his garage. So he brought it over and we replaced it. Started up and test drove, same problem, same code. Next I swapped the #2 and #3 wire. Same code. I pulled the plugs, number 3 was completely black and all 4 were gapped at close to .060. I had him run me over to the parts house and picked up a set of Champ copper plus RE16MC plugs, gapped them at .040 and installed them. Runs perfectly now. Even after that shop did the tune up originally it never did idle as smoothly or have as much power as it does now. The only reason I had them do the tune up then is because it was in the shop for the timing belt and I figured what the hell as long as its there. I even specifically told them to gap the plugs at .040 as per the TSB. They said "oh yeah we know, we get all the Chrylser TSB's (the shop owner used to be the service manager of the local Chrysler dealer and most of the techs came from there too). So now my car runs great and I need to find a new shop for problems I can't handle in my driveway with my busted up back. Again thanks for all your help and sorry to be so long winded. Da DJ Mon
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.