Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2013, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering problems

Well, my power steering has been making noise for some time now. The noise seems to be coming from the pump (passenger side of the car). The steering was working fine even with the slight noise. The other day, suddenly the power steering went out only at slow speeds. it's fine at higher rpm's (whether moving or not I need to keep the rpm's up to be able to steer). I've replaced the belt, flushed out the reservoir as best I could (Kinda hard to tell if it's clean or not due to the really small fill hole) and I replaced the pressure switch (fluid ran out freely when I took the old one out leading me to believe the reservoir is pretty clean).
Well, now the noise is constant. Worse when trying to turn the wheel and again, the power steering only works at higher rpm's. I'm leaning towards replacing the pump but, I'm wondering if maybe I missed something.
Anyone got any suggestions or am I gonna be replacing the power steering pump this weekend?

BTW. It's a 2001 PT touring with 196,000 miles

Last edited by mag246; 12 Mar 2013 at 06:16 pm.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering problems

I believe you are there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2013, 02:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, with that milage I would look no further. Worn out pump. Mine does it too, a little hard at idle but works fine when revs go above 1000 rpm. So I 'm still sitting it out untill it's really undrivable. Have been doing 7000 miles of the faulty pump untill now
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 13 Mar 2013, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK. Well, I guess you two just helped make my plans for the weekend. I really thought that's what it was but wanted a second opinion before I wasted any more time and money.
Thanks guys.

Tags
power steering, power steering pump, steering pump