Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine cuts out/dies...while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine cuts out/dies...while driving

My wife's 2008 PT has died 3 times within the last three weeks while shes been driving it. Took it in to my mech. and he couldn't find any error codes logged. I've noticed (especially at night) that occasionally the dash lights as well as the headlights will flicker off for a millisecond but the vehicle will continue running. Don't know if it's related or not! I've been unable to replicate the problem while I drive it. (of course!)
So needless to say... my wife isn't happy and she's concerned about driving it and it dying on her again... I know its not much to go on...but if anybody has any bright ideas...I'm all ears. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealer and them finding nothing wrong etc...etc. Thanks
Old 13 Mar 2013, 03:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine cuts out/dies...while driving

Try the 'Horn and Radio' fix from yesterday on this page. The ignition switch is also an area to look at.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine cuts out/dies...while driving

How old is the battery? I would check it, the cables and your grounds. A weak battery will cause issues like this as well as corroded cables. My 09 flickers also but it has never been an issue.