Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alignment Now P0128 Code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2013, 04:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Alignment Now P0128 Code

Just did quick struts on the front and shocks on the rear on Saturday, about 150 miles ago.

Added tires on the rear today and then got aligned at NTW. They told my wife they couldn't do a 4 wheel alignment and still charged $105. Told her all alignments were the same price. So, not happy here, but this isn't the problem.

About two hours later, the check engine light is on. Took it to AutoZOne and it's code P0128. Coolant temp is always low.

Is there something that they could have knocked off? I did a thermostat about a month ago. And it can't be a coincidence that it came on right after they touched it.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 04:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Alignment Now P0128 Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
Just did quick struts on the front and shocks on the rear on Saturday, about 150 miles ago.

Added tires on the rear today and then got aligned at NTW. They told my wife they couldn't do a 4 wheel alignment and still charged $105. Told her all alignments were the same price. So, not happy here, but this isn't the problem.

About two hours later, the check engine light is on. Took it to AutoZOne and it's code P0128. Coolant temp is always low.

Is there something that they could have knocked off? I did a thermostat about a month ago. And it can't be a coincidence that it came on right after they touched it.
does the temp gauge even move at all? -as for the alignment, i'd angrily go demand my $52.50 back. it's not your fault they are lazy or unequipped to complete the job you paid for.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 04:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Temperature gauge is working normal. Just checked coolant and it's full.

The two other probable causes are:

- Thermostat defective
- ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor defective

How do I tell what it is? I can't get to the plug of the ECT to pop it off and on.

They told my wife that the rear is unadjustable.

Last edited by falconut; 13 Mar 2013 at 04:59 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 05:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

to align the rear they use shims:
installing rear axle shims?

about the cooling:
if you cannot get to the sensor wires to check, you can suck some coolant out with a turkey baster and look down in there to see if the thermostat is stuck open. i'd suspect the thermostat is the problem and not the sensor. i've only seen one sensor that was bad, ever, and it was on a mazda rx7
Old 13 Mar 2013, 06:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I already drained the fluid and got the sensor, but need a 19mm deep socket. Here are some photos down the tube. Don't know what a open thermostat looks like from above. Do these photos show it good enough to tell?

Old 13 Mar 2013, 06:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

haha! no! i can't tell with those. pour water on it and see how quick it drains through. then you should know.

i push on mine with a butterknife to bleed it(my bleeder doesnt turn). you can try that if you like. push slowly though, and no more than 1/4"
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I refilled it with coolant after changing the sensor, it goes down before I can move the funnel out to look. I'm guessing it was that.

The thermostat is only a month old. This part caused me a lot of grieve to get. The dealerships here in NJ were on backorder for over a month with no idea when they'd be in. All the Advance Auto Ones don't fit in the housing with the gasket. AutoZones Failsafe brand fit right in and is supposed to open on fail. But, after a month. That would be crazy. Is this normal?

Update: I took it for a test drive and the temperature gauge now takes longer just to go above C. However, the heater seems to blow out hot like usual. I did hold the upper hose, while it was warming and it felt like it was slowly warming up. I guess the thermostat stuck open?

Last edited by falconut; 13 Mar 2013 at 09:27 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fail safe have been a problem from what I read on here.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Mar 2013, 06:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The fail safe have been a problem from what I read on here.
Yeah, I did a search last night on google and found many people with this issue. Guess I'll just get a plain Duralast. What a PITA.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Stant, forgive the spelling makes good parts.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com