Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help Me Please!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2013, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help Me Please!!!

So my 08 PT BASE has 91000 miles. Tires were looking bad so I replaced the whole set. Got a full front and rear alignment and replaced bad passenger side wheel bearing. Took it on the interstate for the first time today and when I hit anywhere between 42 to 60 mph my car would seem to be lacking power and a slight vibration. I noticed a vibration in the gas pedal. The steering wheel and the brake pedal have no play or vibration but you can feel the vibration in the lower part of the car. I took it back to the guys who did the work on it. They said TRANSMISSION GOING OUT$2500 . Now that is hard for me to believe. It shifts up as well as down fine. Its an auto by the way. There does not seem to be a skip or shudder coming from the engine. So took it to another mechanic. They drove it three seperate times came back in and told me i needed both cv axle assemblys replaced.$400. Now they are not clicking and the boots are fine. But they said the vibration can come trough the axles and the tranny. Therefore common misdiagnosis. Any ideas
?
Old 15 Mar 2013, 01:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help Me Please!!!

sounds like wheelbearings. very common. gets worse the faster you go? changes volume as you swerve right and left?
Old 15 Mar 2013, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No actually when it gets up to 75 there is no noise and lighter vibration. Also I couldn't tell if the noise was coming from the front right or rear. But on the slower end, it almost sounded like a driving over those strips on the side of the interstate. But a very little higher pitch. but the noise stays constant going straight
Old 15 Mar 2013, 01:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you might try rotating the tires and see if the noise moves. it's free.

if you jack up the car right directly below the mirror, the front and back tire will come up at the same time, so you can swap them pretty quickly. when the front tire is off, pull up and down on the tierod end to see if there is any play in it. i'd guess one tire has a small bubble in it or needs to be rebalanced
Old 15 Mar 2013, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

taking it to get it rotated and rebalanced now. will let you know the outcome. like i said, this wasn't a problem before. except for the lack of power and shaking going up a hill or starting off from a dead stop. I could live with that. just figured it was a PT thing. I f you have any suggestions on that problem I would glady accept them as well.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 02:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Was there any vibration prior to the work done?

Old 15 Mar 2013, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Only when accelerating from a dead stop or going up a steep grade incline. Also lacked power!
Old 16 Mar 2013, 02:15 am
Senior Cruiser

I believe the lack of power is a different issue. Because it happens under load, cv joints seem possible. Just jack up left front tire and run car at 25 mph. Listen---Noise? Then repeat on right front tire. Noise? That's where I'd start. Also, with tire raised and engine off [E-brake on , in neutral], check for brake drag, check for an out of round tire.
Old 16 Mar 2013, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No noise when I jacked it up. Tires are less than 1k miles. didn't see any defects. as far as brake drag i recently replaced rotor on passenger side and not driver side. would that contribute?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 12:59 am
Senior Cruiser

A bad rotor will usually be felt in the brake pedal. However, a sticky caliper will create heat in a rotor, which may create a vibration, smell, or a pull to one side.

I forgot to tell you to turn the steering wheel full left and full right [go lightly] while jacked up and at 25 or so mph. Both sides. This puts an angular stress on the cv joints. Does the vibration get worse when turning tightly? Like in a parking lot.

Bad plug wires can cause vibration. Do the key dance, just for kicks.