Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By wdlee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2013, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can't get crank damper off!!!

Well my girlfriends 02 PT 2.4l with 5spd broke its timing belt so I'm putting a new one on. Everything was going smooth but I cant get the damper off, i've soaked it with PB blaster and let it sit over night, I'm using the chryler specific damper puller, and I tried applying heat to the damper while removing.

All thats happening is I'm bending the serpentine belt pulley and the damper isn't budging does anyone know a trick to getting this off?

Thanks
Old 16 Mar 2013, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Can't get crank damper off!!!

if you bent anything you most likely already ruined it, but check here for tips:

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Mar 2013, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

as soon as you get the new timing belt on, connect the battery, make sure you start the car and rev the engine before you continue. i mean before putting the crank pulley or anything back on. start the car with no damper pulley, no coolant, no mounts, etc.

before you put it back together you need to make sure the car will start and rev up. if you are a tooth off it may still start, so rev it up once too. if it won't start and rev up, it's WAY better to figure that out while everything is off.

fun car to fix, eh?
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 02:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Note position of the crank timing mark in the picture. Then align camshaft timing marks. They MUST be in line with eachother and inline with the center of the camshaft bolts when done. Use a straightedge or stiff paper etc. Then rotate crank 2 turns and recheck. You want to eliminate this question in your mind if problems occur later.

NOTE: This is hard to explain, here goes. The valves can hit and bend eachother if at maximum lift. The cam sprockets must be turned simultaneously [as if the belt is connected] to prevent this. If the old belt never lost teeth at the cams, then your good. To verify this, paint a bright spot on both cam sprockets over the 2.4L . They should BOTH be at the same clock position [say 8 o'clock]. Then rotate them clockwise [simultaneously] using two wrenches until the timing marks are aligned.

Gotta go
Old 17 Mar 2013, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It would be helpful for us to see some close up pics of the tool in place on the pulley. So we can see exactly what you are faced with. I have to ask, you do have the rod in the pulley's bolt hole to push agains? These don't usually give a lot of problems getting them off unless the puller slips off.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Mar 2013, 05:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Chrysler specific puller pulls on center section- It's nowhere near the serpentine belt area.
Someone gave you the wrong puller!
Old 17 Mar 2013, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The puller I got from O'Reilly's, the Pullers 3 jaws hooks outwards in the slots in the center of the damper and a rod goes into the hole of the shaft that the bolt was screwed into. To hold the jaws in place, twist the puller clockwise. This will pin them in place enough to crank the center bolt. Start with the short rod just to get it started, then switch to the longer one. Hope this makes sense.
UptownSport likes this.