Windshield Problem

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2013, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Windshield Problem

UUGH. This car is giving me so many problems and here is another one. It rained really bad here today. When I got in the car I noticed a half inch of water in the floorboard. It is leaking from the top of the windshield. I asked a mech and he said you can't take it out and reseal it. It will break. Is this BS. also it is a small 1/8 size hole is there a way to seal from the inside w/o taking out the windshield at all?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield Problem

If you can see the hole, can you get a caulking gun in there? If so, don't see why you can't shoot caulk in there.
Also - ask a widshield guy, not a mechanic - there are windshield replacement companies that'll replace a windshield in a parking lot and they don't break the one they remove.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Mar 2013, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also don't use caulking. Either use windows urethane or get one those window replacement co. to fix it for you. They can do it without making a mess of your car. But if you do it yourself. Get the self priming kind.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've had several windshields replaced where I work for rock damage. They took them out in one piece. Meaning they came to where I work and did it lol
Old 19 Mar 2013, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I doubt there is any licensed Auto Glass Shop/service that will guarantee not breaking a windshield when removing it to do a reseal. If they say other wise be cautious read the fine print on the contract...LOL. Most ALL glass companies have a waver your sign explaining glass breakage and who is responsible and it is not them.
If you are going to attempt to seal it in place I recommend to wait until the PT has completely dried for a couple of day that way you do not seal in water that will rust and cause more problems later.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem I see on the PT windshield is that it is an encapsulated windshield. Meaning the mouldings are made on to the glass and it goes in all together. Not sure if they can get it out without sacrificing the moldings to do it. Will be there call not mine. NitroPT is correct on his points.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

is it fully insured?

Would be a shame if you were driving and a rock hit the windshield and it required a brand new one from your insurance company ;-)
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by pluminator; 19 Mar 2013 at 03:46 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^