Advertisements
02 Pt Cruiser Over heating and smoking with heavy acceleration

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 Pt Cruiser Over heating and smoking with heavy acceleration

Hello everyone, this is my problem I'm having. One day I dropping my wife off at work when I had to give it some gas. After this it starts to smoke really bad and my acceleration gets almost non existent and i put out a thick white smoke screen for other drivers. Also if driving more than 30 minutes car starts to over heat and when i try to use my heater it blows cold air and i can hear my ac cluth turn off and on and i have collant and i tried to bleed the system but i forgot to run the heater while opening the bleed valve. I really need to have this fixed because this is my wife's daily driver. thanks.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 02 Pt Cruiser Over heating and smoking with heavy acceleration

dont understand what ur asking
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm asking what could be the possible causes for the symptoms I'm having. Over heating on 30 minutes or more trips, Thick white smoke on hard accelerations and ac kicking on and off while temperature selector is on heat and not ac.
Had it at the dealership for the timing belt. They replaced the belt the pulleys and the water pump heater core and the thermostat but 30 minutes after leaving them back on the highway it over heated. Managed to make it back home after letting it cool off. 3 weeks ago while trying to merge on the highway the car became really sluggish and blew out a big cloud of white smoke and made the check engine light come on for O2 sensor downstream which is only a year old. It has oil and coolant and I tried to bleed the cooling system but forgot to turn heater on full blast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ps. If anybody is in the Atlanta Gwinnett County area that could come take a look at it would help even more. I'm available on Friday all day.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

White smoke means your burning antifreeze/coolant.

Combine that with overheating.

answer = Head gasket. Either broken, or the head has warped.

Take it to your mechanic to have a compression check done.

Then replace the head/headgasket as needed.
cruisin03pt likes this.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi everyone. This my first time here it seems i tried everything and i just dont know where else to go for advice. I have a eating issues and i tried everything. I have a pt cruiser 2005 convertible 2.4 liter with turbo. Im having over heating problems and i tried everything. I have general knowledge of mechical skills. Is anyone one here that can help me plz.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 02 Pt Cruiser Over heating

It started with the car over heating. Having knowledge of being a mechanic i took the thermastat out and left it out. That did not work. I kept driving it making sure i checked water levels to be sure not to get it to hot. Then my timing belt broke. I got the new belt and had timing set. The heating persist. I checked water pump it was fine. I took it to a mechanic and he told me it was my radiator clogged. He flushed it out and put a new radiator cap. I put it on a computer check at atouzone because the car started missing found out it was the coil pack that problem was fixed. Then the computer came up no t-stat Today i installed a new t-stat still over heating. The only time it really over heats is when i stop at a light it starts to overheat. I was told the pt reqires coolant only. Im not sure i have water right now to test because coolant isnt cheap. Also my reservior tank does have a hole in the bottom so it isnt really functional. I wouldnt think that would be the issue. I have tried everything i cant figure it out. Yes the fan does run but does a pt have a high and low speed on the fan? If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 01:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Andrew: replace the coolant reservoir!!! And check the hose from the reservior to the 'radiator cap'. A turbo engine has a variable speed fan. To test it, try the turbo forum section.

Your coolant should be orangy colored. If not, don't mix with other colors. A 50/50 mix is recommended [with distilled water].